Every November, writers all over the world put their fingers to keyboards in hopes of piling up 50,000 words in thirty days. I’m one of those authors and I’m pleased to announce I completed the challenge!
But I didn’t do it alone. I was a member of From the Hearts Romance Writers Nano squad dubbed The Racing Hearts. To thank my friends and fellow writers I’d like to post some of the daily quotes our leader Wendi Sotis shared.
1. Writing is the painting of the voice! ~ Voltaire
2. But when people say, Did you always want to be a writer?
I have to say no! I always was a writer. ~ Ursula Le Guin
3. Write. Rewrite. When not writing or rewriting, read.
I know of no shortcut. ~ Larry L. King
4. The beautiful part of writing is that you don’t have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon. ~ Robert Cormier
5. And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~ Sylvia Plath
6. Write your story as it needs to be written. Write it honestly, and tell it as best you can. I’m not sure that there are any other rules.
Not ones that matter. ~ Neil Gaiman
7. If a story is in you, it has got to come out. ~ William Faulkner
8. The worst thing you write is better than the best thing you did not write. ~ April Young Fritz
9. Every writer I know has trouble writing. ~ Joseph Heller
10. A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others. ~ William Faulkner
11. There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. ~ Ernest Hemingway
12. The best time for planning a book is while you’re doing the dishes. ~ Agatha Christie
13. In order to write you must have confidence in your own experience, that it is rich enough to write about. ~ Natalie Goldberg
Do any of these quotes ring true to you? Or do you have a favorite quote you’d like to share?