Thursday, November 3, 2016

Great Beginnings and NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month started November 1st, just days ago. It’s thirty days of hard work where authors all around the world hammer out 1, 667 words a day, in hopes of finishing the month with a novel that’s 50,000 words.



I’m one of those hopeful writers. I love beginning a new story. It fills me with hope. There are so many things might happen and so many characters I’ve yet to meet.

Do you like beginnings? Do they intrigue you? Or are new starts hard? Here are thirteen illustrious thinkers’ thoughts. Which ones ring true to you?




1. And suddenly you know: It's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings. ~ Meister Eckhart
2. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~ Lao Tzu

3. Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. ~ Martin Luther King
4. Remember tonight... for it is the beginning of always. ~ Dante Alighieri
5. Catherine Land liked the beginnings of things. The pure white possibility of the empty room, the first kiss, the first swipe at larceny.  ~ Robert Goolrick
6. Beginnings are sudden, but also insidious. They creep up on you sideways, they keep to the shadows, they lurk unrecognized. Then, later, they spring. ~ Margaret Atwood
7. Beginnings are always messy. ~ John Galsworthy
8. I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end. (Jo March) ~ Louisa May Alcott
9. Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? ~L.M. Montgomery
10. Their eyes met. It had begun. They had begun. ~Alexandra Potter
11. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end. ~ Seneca
12. All great ideas and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. ~ Albert Camus
13. The beginnings of all things are small. ~ Cicero


Do you have a favorite quote about beginnings? Please share.

Sources
http://innovationexcellence.com/blog/2011/01/24/20-awesome-quotes-on-beginning/
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/beginnings

8 comments:

  1. The Seneca one speaks to me the most. I'll be thinking of new beginnings today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Great quotes! I have a Presidential T13 this week...of a sorts. '-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have always favored #2. That small step has always been the hardest for me. Good luck with your work this month. I tried it last year - didn't make it - and decided I wasn't up to it this time. I still think the thing should be in February or March, not before the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CountryDew,
      Getting any words down is a win as far as I'm considered.

      Delete
  4. What gets to me is how much in character each of these quotes is.

    I'm also NaNoing. I'm at 7k. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice Audrey, I'm excited you're doing Nano too. Let's be buddies.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja