Thursday, June 9, 2016

Father's Day Facts




Happy Father’s Day! We all are fathers, know fathers or have had a dad. Want to celebrate dads by learning some of the facts behind this holiday?


1. Sonora Dodd thought of Father’s Day to honor her father, William Smart.

2. William Smart was a single parent. He raised six children after his wife’s death.  He was also a Civil War veteran.

3. The first Father’s Day happened in Spokane, Washington on June 17, 1910.

4. Sonora and the mayor of Spokane chose June as the month to celebrate because William Smart’s birthday was in June.

5. In 1966, President Johnson picked the third Sunday in June for Father’s Day, but it wasn’t until 1972 when President Nixon was in office that the holiday became permanent.

6. Just how many dads are there? In 2008, the U.S. Census Bureau estimated the number of fathers in the nation to be 70.1 million.

7. Also the U.S. Census Bureau reports that in 2013 there were over twenty-four million fathers living in married couple homes and had children under the age of 18.

 8. In 2013 survey the Bureau found that two million fathers were single parents.

9. That sounds like a huge number, but it’s actually only 17 percent of the single parents.

10. About 4.2 percent of the single dads were widowed while 33 percent had never married,
44 percent were divorced and 19 percent were separated.

11. In 2011, stay-at-home dads took care of 18% of all preschoolers.

12. These stay-at-home fathers number around 214,000.

13. What will fathers likely do this Father’s Day? Well, it’s a good bet they’ll barbecue.  In 2010, 79.1 million Americans participated in a barbecue.

Dads are pretty important. I hope that you’ll have a chance to celebrate with one or more of these great guys this month!



Sources
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2016/cb16-ff11.html
http://fathersday-2015.com/happy-fathers-day-wallpaper-free-download/
http://www.webgranth.com/fathers-day-wallpaper-download-free-hd-fathers-day-wallpaper




8 comments:

  1. I thought Fathers Day was June 19. It's not this Sunday, is it? Anyway, interesting information about dads. I don't really get along with my father, but I do send him a card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CountryDew,
      Father's Day is the 19th. I'm just posting early. :)

      Delete
  2. How low those numbers are, considering all the divorce going around. I guess some things never change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice Audrey, Hmm. You could be right. I'll double-check my figures.

      Delete
  3. My brother was a Mr. Mom. I miss having my dad. He died in 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen,
    I know a couple of Mr. Moms, too. And I'm sorry for your loss. I don't think people ever completely get over losing someone they love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish more dads would step up... working as a liaison for the welfare office and child support enforcement unit led me to become a bit jaded with the amount of men playing Johnny Appleseed and then bailing on their obligations...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April,
      Yeah, that's got to be disheartening. I hope more dads do step up. Thanks for reminding us about this problem.

      Delete

 
ja