No matter what your task, you’ll need to use your brain to complete it. And, if you’re like me, sometimes it seems the old noggin just isn't up to it. That’s when I wish I had a little help---something to reconnect and fire up all my synapses.
Here are thirteen things a person could ingest to hopefully incite a brainstorm.
- Broccoli- has potassium, Vitamin C and K and a sluice of other nutrients and antioxidants that help the whole body. Bembu.com reports that, “research suggests that broccoli could help contribute to the brain healing itself in the case of injury.”
- Curry- More than one study indicates that the curcumin in curry helps memory, slows the progression of diseases such as Alzheimer’s and may even stimulate the creation of new brain cells. Don’t believe me? Check out this study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2781139/
- Water-It’s hard to stay focused if you’re dehydrated.
- Whole grains-Because whole grains release glucose into your bloodstream slowly, they can help you stay mentally alert longer than a quick jot of a caffeinated beverage.
- Green Tea-Along with its antioxidants which help ward off heart disease and cancer, it may even help create new brain cells. Something neurologists had long believed impossible, but just may happen according to this study posted on Science Daily. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120905083852.htm
- Salmon and pretty much all fish really,
- Other leafy green vegetables,
- and sage, contain an essential fatty acid, Omega-3. Perhaps my explanation is oversimplified, but this nutrient is important because to think a person needs the electrical signals that make up thought to travel through the brain. These signals must pass from one cell to another through each cell’s membrane, which is made almost completely of fatty acid. Omega-3 helps the membrane stay elastic with enhances the flow of those electrical impulses.
Well, I’m off to the kitchen for water and a brain-stimulating snack, but before I go I’d like to hear from you. What else could I eat that would be beneficial to my brain? I look forward to your suggestions.