Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Super-Hero vs Super-Noir


By Elizabeth MS Flynn w/a Eilis Flynn
Like a whole lot of other people, I’ve been watching the Netflix offerings in the Marvel universe. I watched the first series, Daredevil, with a tiny bit of knowledge, since I’d read the comic from time to time, saw the movie with Ben Affleck (which I liked, and apparently I was one of a select few in that, but I assumed that was because the romance portion of the story was too much for the fanboys out there), and paid some vague attention to the natterings from those greater fans around me. Anyway, the series was good; and the lead, Charlie Cox, was fascinating to watch. Another Brit doing a great job of playing an American, Cox was somehow mesmerizing with those dark glasses, playing Matt Murdock, blind attorney by day and radar super-hero in Hell’s Kitchen (an earlier name for a neighborhood in Manhattan) by night. The super-hero outfit was nowhere to be seen for the most part, but he was even more interesting without it, in that the black turtleneck and pants and the black scarf worked better than the uniform he ended up with at the finish.

At least he had a uniform to fall back on. The second Netflix series, Jessica Jones, was built on a comic I wasn’t familiar with, not unusual, since me and mine were never Marvelfolk (we were DCers). Not only that, the lead, an actress named Krysten Ritter (sp unc), was memorable in whatever I had seen her in, so that was about the only thing I knew about it. A former super-heroine who quit the biz and became a private investigator, Jessica’s overarching story turned out to be just as interesting as the subplots. A super-villain named Kilgrave (played by David Tennant of Doctor Who; you really do have to appreciate their casting) with mind control abilities was interesting but not arresting—creepy; effective in that I kept wanting to wash my hands—then again, I was fine to watch those scenes if it meant the background stories would be served. Then again, it took me a while to realize that this was a story in which the major characters were all female (with the exception of Kilgrave, of course, and the love interest: Luke Cage, the character who helped name Nicolas Cage, ably played by Mike Colter, and who, if I recall, will be the center of the next Netflix series), and of course, by then I was hooked. It didn’t hurt that Jessica’s best friend, Trish Walker (played by Rachael Taylor), turned out to be in an earlier life Patsy Walker, which was the name of a super-heroine called Hellcat. Gotta love it.

Anyway, I’m darn pleased with both DD and JJ. They work well in the medium and I can only complain that Netflix bounces me out every few episodes, and so I haven’t been able to binge-watch. If you haven’t had a chance to see either, I recommend them highly.

Elizabeth MS Flynn has written fiction in the form of comic book stories, romantic fantasies, urban fantasies, historical fantasies and short stories, a young adult novel, and a graphic novella (most published under the name of Eilis Flynn). She’s also a professional editor and has been for 39 years, working with academia, technology, and finance nonfiction, and romance fiction. If you’re looking for an editor, she can be found editing at emsflynn.com and reached at emsflynn@aol.com. If you’re curious about her books, check out eilisflynn.com. In any case, she can be reached at eilisflynn@aol.com.


2 comments:

 
ja