Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Writing and Looking for Ideas? Check out National Novel Writing Month and Seventh Sanctum


November started this week and with its start 2015’s National Novel Writing Month kicked off. Many aspiring authors, including me, will attempt to write a 50,000 word novel before the month ends. That means we have to pen 1, 667 or so words every day. And sometimes it’s hard to keep the story going and to simply come up with ideas.



To help another Nano participants and myself I’ve gone to Seventh Sanctum. It’s a page of random generators. I used one that made interesting characters because I’ve found if you start with some interesting people the scenes seem to come together quickly.  So here are thirteen classic, overused and archetypical types scrambled together to hopefully create some eccentric and intriguing oddballs to fuel a budding storyteller's inner muse.

See if any of these trigger your imagination or your funny bone.



1. The upper-class fop who has an unusual scar from an equally unusual incident.
2. The stealthy assassin who keeps repeating themselves over and over.
3. The mysterious elderly wizard whose scientific endeavors have given them a god complex.
4. The friendly sentient computer who wants everything for their children and who is bound by an unpleasant duty.
5. The rough-and-tumble dwarven fighter who is accused of a crime they did not commit and who is friend to a giant city-smashing monster.
6. The new kid in town who has nothing left to lose.
7. The emotionally detached genius who knows the solution to everyone's problems.
8. The family man who is a softy at heart despite strong biases.
9. The strong-willed yet elegant Southern Belle who is stronger and more skilled than most anyone.
10. The aristocratic vampire who is just this side of crazy and who wants to destroy the world due to emotional issues.
11. The loudmouthed opportunist with a heart of gold who has to prove their worth.
12. The scoundrel with a heart of gold who came back from the grave and who stands alone against the Main Villain.
13. The brilliant young adult who is persecuted by a government conspiracy and who surprises people with their ability to survive.

If you’re working on a manuscript or taking the National Novel Writing Challenge this November and you’re looking for ideas, consider checking out The Seventh Sanctum. It’ll inspire your creativity.

Sources
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/

14 comments:

  1. Ha! I just saw the movie Author's Anonymous about a writers group and all this one guy in the group did was record character ideas in a tape recorder like these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen,
      I saw the movie too and I loved it.

      Delete
  2. I'm doing NaNo this year, but I'll give Seven Sanctum a pass. I've got enough ideas going for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice Audrey,
      I know you're full of creativity and ideas!

      Delete
  3. Off to check it out. I have a story I need to plot and could do with some inspiration. I'm not participating in NaNo, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wish you luck with your new novel.

      Delete
  4. I'm trying NaNo for the first time this year, but not being very successful at it. Never heard of 7th Sanctum, but off to check it out as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CountryDew,
      Nano can be hard. It is a different way of writing, which can be hard to get used to.

      Delete
  5. Fun topic, Mia. Good luck in your NaNo challenge. My T13

    ReplyDelete

 
ja