Thursday, November 19, 2015

Books I'm Thankful For


It’s safe to say, I’m addicted to books. I may even have a book problem, so as Thanksgiving draws ever closer, I’m thinking about things I’m grateful for and books come to mind.


Thirteen Books I’m grateful for
1
The Bible
I like the stories about people, like me, who make mistakes, but count on God’s mercy, grace and help.
2
The Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin
My friend gave me these books in college and I fell in love with Ged and the magic of Earthsea.
3
100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson
The language, the story and the characters pulled me in and I liked all the baseball games mentioned.
4
Redshirts by John Scatzi
I grew up as a trekkie and this book just might show what really happened behind the scenes of Star Trek. Also, Wil Wheaton narrated the version I listened to, which made the story even funnier.
5
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
I’m not a huge Western fan, but this read taught me that any genre can be humorous and fun.
6
Warm Bodies by Issac Marion
I liked the unlikely blend of horror, humor and romance.
7
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Aibileen’s wisdom and kindness spoke to me.
8
The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum
I read this book with my grandmother.
9
David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell
This book gave me a lot to think about.
10
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
I loved the friendship between the girls/ women.
11
Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
This epic fantasy is so complex, rich and noble.
12
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon
This book helped me to see things from an entirely new point of view.
13
The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht
Ever wonder what a person should do in a given situation? This book series has brief easy-to -read answers.

Since I read continually and my favorite read will almost always be the book I’m in the middle of currently, this list will change. In fact, I’m hoping that you will throw me some suggestions for additions.
What book or books are you grateful for? Why?
Please share.

Sources

http://www.amazon.com/






9 comments:

  1. Such an impossible question. I love books but my favourite list is constantly changing. At present I'm reading lots of mysteries and thrillers. Combine them with a little romance and I'm very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of these are going on my want list. I'd never heard of them but your description draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bible, The Help, and Lord of the Rings would top my list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd add The Invention of Wings, (Sue Monk Kidd), The Hobbit, Island of the Blue Dolphins, any of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, all of Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries, and Annie of Green Gables.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja