Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Juggling Projects


By Elizabeth MS Flynn w/a Eilis Flynn
Since I was laid off a couple of years ago, my former freelance business, now full-time business, keeps me surprisingly busy. To the point that I have to keep track of what projects are going on at any given time with an activity tracker, like busy moms do with busy families and kids.

Well, close, not quite. Not having room for a complex piece of hardware (ie, a whiteboard) in my office, I keep track with a running sheet of projects on (who would have thought?) a sheet of paper. Old school, using a pen and paper, even. (I’m old school like that.) Once I finish, I cross it off. Simple, you say. Simple? SIMPLE? Well, yeah, it is, but if you’re like me, the constant reminder of the list just sitting there, ever growing, alarms you, just a tad. (Okay, in all fairness, that list is also ever shrinking. Because I do get things done. It’s just alarming, you know?)

The point of knowing what you have to do is so you can arrange and rearrange your management of projects so you give enough time to all those active projects and keep in the back of your mind how to deal with the upcoming ones, and also how to deal with anything that comes along unexpectedly. When I started doing this small-business thing full time, I predicted I would have periods of calm and periods of frenzy, like any business. What I should have realized was the constant surveillance of both periods is its own task. In itself, it is a running sheet. But that’s what a small business is—doing the work, looking for work, cleaning up the work. Determining what should be done and when. And that goes for any kind of business.

Coming up? Editorial projects to work on and two presentations at the Emerald City Writers’ Conference in a couple of weeks. They’re all there in the running sheet, but the conference had to be circled, just in case I forgot for some reason, and moved up on the running sheet! The revamping of my own websites, both emsflynn and eilisflynn, go lower, much lower, on the running sheet. The wrangling of authors for their work, already done but requiring handling of one kind or another, go higher. My own writing? A few pages here and there, but that’s got to go lower on the list. That’s the nature of the small business and managing it.

Elizabeth MS Flynn has written fiction in the form of comic book stories, romantic fantasies, urban fantasies, historical fantasies and short stories, a young adult novel, and a graphic novella (most published under the name of Eilis Flynn). She’s also a professional editor and has been for more than 35 years, working with academia, technology, and finance nonfiction, and romance fiction. If you’re looking for an editor, she can be found editing at emsflynn.com and reached at emsflynn@aol.com. If you’re curious about her books, check out eilisflynn.com. In any case, she can be reached at eilisflynn@aol.com.

3 comments:

 
ja