Today, many people say the hand-written word is dying and that paper and pencil script has lost its power and soon be another technology relegated to antique shops and museums like rotary telephones or typewriters.
I disagree. I think hand-scribed texts are involving and merging with current social media to become something even greater impactl. Don’t believe me? Check out PostSecret.com, a blog site run by Frank Warren.
In November 2004, Frank Warren handed out 3000 stamped, self-addressed postcards and asked people to “anonymously share an artful secret they’d never told anyone before.” The idea caught on! Currently, “PostSecret.com is the most visited advertisement-free blog in the world,” and Frank Warren possesses over a half-million secrets and hordes of readers like myself.
Here are thirteen of my favorite posts.
1. I thought he had no idea who I was and I dreamed about him for so long.
Now he tells me he loves me, he always listens to everything, he completely understands me, and he wants to grow old with me.
2. This is the moment I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you. I wish I had the heart to tell you.
3. I shouldn’t have left you…Because I most likely won’t ever get you back…. I can’t get you out of my head.
4. I was in love with my best friend. We’re both girls. I never told her. We have lost touch. But I think she knew.
5. I will marry you here someday. You just don’t know it yet.
6. I’m still very much in love with the same girl since I was 11 years old.
7. The only reason I am with him is to see if you care enough.
8. I think your husband is a jerk. And you would be so much better off with me. But I am afraid if you dumped him for me…You would later think you made a mistake.
9. For years, I’ve wanted to find someone to connect with like I do with you.
10. I'm thrilled with the person I'm becoming.
11. It’s possible to fall in love when you’re young I fell in love when I was thirteen with him, and music. I had to choose I miss him but I don’t regret it.
12. I still check my missed call list to see if you ever called and I just didn’t get it.
13. I still remember your birthday… This secret is available as a postcard. Send it to someone.
Just reading these gives me shivers. Each one of the posted secrets is a poignant and likely hand-penned story. One I’d like to know more about.
I’m guessing you might agree and so I’ve made sure to include the sources I used to put this post together, so you can visit them.