Thursday, August 20, 2015
Mind-blowing Statistics About Social Media
YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr, Goggle +, Instagram, LinkedIn, Flickr, Snapchat, Pinterest, Facebook, Counting and Blogs--most people would agree that social media has a big, but just how big is it? Here are some surprising statistics.
1. Over 12 million people blog. 23% of internet time is spent on blogs and social networks.
2. Companies with a blog have 97% more inbound links than others.
3. You Tube has over a billion uses.
4. Six billion hours of video is watched on YouTube every month
5. YouTube gets an average of a billion views a day.
6. Twitter has over 255 million active users. They sent over 500 million messages daily. That said, there are about forty-four percent of the users on Twitter, who have never sent a message or tweeted.
7. Over 20 Billion photos have been shared on Instagram since its inception.
8. Twenty-three percent of teens say Instagram is their favorite social network.
9. Snapchat has 30 million active users.
10. About 400 million snaps appear on Snapchat daily.
11. Over 39 million students and recent college graduates are on LinkedIn.
12. Every second two or more people sign up for LinkedIn.
13. Pinterest has over 70 million total users and most of those users are female. In fact 80% are female.
All these statistics point to social media’s huge popularity, but why is it so popular? Why are we draw to it? I’m taking an online class currently about social media and my instructor, author R. L. Syme says, it’s because social media is just that—social. While traditional media—newspapers, catalogs and magazines, presented information to an audience, it didn’t truly invite interaction. It was primarily a lecture-type format where readers responded like an audience. Social media is a conversation, a give and take, where the response is just as important as the initial communication.
What do you think? I’m waiting to hear from you.
Baer, Jay. “Convince and Convert: Social Media Strategy and Content Marketing Strategy.” Convince and Convert Social Media Strategy and Content Marketing Strategy. Web. 20 Aug. 2015.
Bennett, Shea. "Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Vine, Snapchat – Social Media Stats 2014 [INFOGRAPHIC]." SocialTimes. 9 June 2014. Web. 20 Aug. 2015.
"Latest Social Media Users Stats, Facts and Numbers for 2014 - Digital Insights." Latest Social Media Users Stats, Facts and Numbers for 2014 - Digital Insights. Web. 20 Aug. 2015.
Syme, R.L. "Social Media for Writers." From the Heart Romance Writers. Loop Class, 1 Aug. 2015. Lecture.