Thursday, August 20, 2015

Mind-blowing Statistics About Social Media


YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr, Goggle +, Instagram, LinkedIn, Flickr, Snapchat, Pinterest, Facebook, Counting and Blogs--most people would agree that social media has a big, but just how big is it? Here are some surprising statistics.



1. Over 12 million people blog.  23% of internet time is spent on blogs and social networks.
2. Companies with a blog have 97% more inbound links than others.
3. You Tube has over a billion uses.
4. Six billion hours of video is watched on YouTube every month
5. YouTube gets an average of a billion views a day.
6. Twitter has over 255 million active users. They sent over 500 million messages daily. That said, there are about forty-four percent of the users on Twitter, who have never sent a message or tweeted.
7. Over 20 Billion photos have been shared on Instagram since its inception.
8. Twenty-three percent of teens say Instagram is their favorite social network.
9. Snapchat has 30 million active users.
10. About 400 million snaps appear on Snapchat daily.
11. Over 39 million students and recent college graduates are on LinkedIn.
12. Every second two or more people sign up for LinkedIn.
13. Pinterest has over 70 million total users and most of those users are female. In fact 80% are female.

All these statistics point to social media’s huge popularity, but why is it so popular? Why are we draw to it? I’m taking an online class currently about social media and my instructor, author R. L. Syme says, it’s because social media is just that—social.  While traditional media—newspapers, catalogs and magazines, presented information to an audience, it didn’t truly invite interaction. It was primarily a lecture-type format where readers responded like an audience. Social media is a conversation, a give and take, where the response is just as important as the initial communication.
What do you think? I’m waiting to hear from you.

Sources
Baer, Jay. “Convince and Convert: Social Media Strategy and Content Marketing Strategy.” Convince and Convert Social Media Strategy and Content Marketing Strategy. Web. 20 Aug. 2015.

Bennett, Shea. "Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Vine, Snapchat – Social Media Stats 2014 [INFOGRAPHIC]." SocialTimes. 9 June 2014. Web. 20 Aug. 2015.

"Latest Social Media Users Stats, Facts and Numbers for 2014 - Digital Insights." Latest Social Media Users Stats, Facts and Numbers for 2014 - Digital Insights. Web. 20 Aug. 2015.

Syme, R.L. "Social Media for Writers." From the Heart Romance Writers. Loop Class, 1 Aug. 2015. Lecture.

13 comments:

  1. It's nice to know we're not alone, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those twitter users that have never tweeted because I couldn't figure out how to! If they did this survey in 2006 the blogging number would have been higher I think. Many left for Facebook. I do both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen,
      You're probably right. I tweet and blog, and I like doing both. I probably should hook them into Facebook, but I haven't done that yet.

      Delete
  3. this is fascinating, colleen, but there is a caveat to those stats. Once you get into the linked in machine, you are suddenly linked to people who know people who know people. In Facebook, you only need a name and suddenly, again, you are now connected to people who are friends of friends of friends. all of those so called links count in the stats as entries.

    I finally got out from under the Linked in and FB onus by just deleted the friends of friends, one at a time, and then the friends, one at a time, and then all the products they thought Id like, and THEN all the news and games and whatevers, one at a time, and a week later go back and clean up the detritus.
    Only took a month. sigh.

    But thats how stats get blown up. I was on linked in because someone invited my husband and it went under my name. forEVER...=)

    I think instagram is the new FB but Im not even looking at that. nope nope. 20 Billion photos. wow. Im waiting for the explosion over there. Wherever 'there' is...=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mittens,
      I share your concern that social media can be a huge time consumer and a sometimes headache, but still I enjoy being part of it

      Delete
  4. I think social media will ruin humanity, in the long run, but it's here to stay. That's my take and I'm standing by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CountryDew,

      You might be right. We'll have to see.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting.
    I have some of those and really enjoy them. Blogging, twitting and instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Novroz,
      Thanks for commenting. I'm glad there are bloggers like you I can be friends with.

      Delete
  6. I like your professor's take on the reasons we are drawn to social media. The statistic that surprised me most was that 80% of Pinterest users are female. I thought it would be higher. I loved your post this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Forgetfulone,
    Most of the statistics were surprising to me. There's a lot I need to learn about social media.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja