Thursday, August 6, 2015

Write, Right, Write: Thirteen Things You Can Do to Inspire Creativity

Ever have a deadline and have no clue how you’re going to meet it? That painful moment that seems to last ten years where your brain refuses to engage in thought and you’re left idea-less. I was there just minutes ago when I realized it was my turn to post and I had no topic and no clue what I’d write, so…


I decided to look for help. I googled ways to inspire creativity. Here are thirteen ideas to jump start creative thoughts.
1. Be grateful. Think about all the blessing and beauty around you.
2. Carry a notebook. Jot down thoughts, so that when you’re seeking inspiration you can thumb through and find it.
I believe in carrying a notebook. Here are three of my old ones.
3. That’s a good idea if you’ve started carrying a notebook and have written in it, but if you haven’t, you could doodle.
4. Or you could color, if you have crayons.


5. Keep the box of crayons out after you finish and see if you can come up with new names for the colors.
6. Speaking of colors, go somewhere you can see blue—i.e. gaze into the sky, or skip a stone across a lake or find a blue room you can sit in for a while. Apparently beholding the color blue triggers creativity.
7. Take a nap.
8. Play a kid’s game like Checkers, Chutes and Ladders, Sorry, or Go Fish.
9. Take a walk.
10. Do something else you love. For me that might be admiring flowers. Here’s one of my favorite lilies.


11. Help someone.
12. Just start. Don’t judge the result until you’ve got plenty to judge.
13. Seek out other creative people. Ask them to share ideas with you. This is my favorite tip and I know you guys are resourceful. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Thanks.

Sources
http://writetodone.com/201-ways-to-arouse-your-creativity/
https://www.themuse.com/advice/8-brilliant-ways-to-inspire-creativity-on-your-lunch-break
http://www.chopra.com/ccl/7-steps-to-inspire-creativity-within

16 comments:

  1. I like to look at the moon and stars. Sometimes when I start reading something good it makes me want to write, which is why I never get much reading done! Good list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen,
      Thanks. I like your idea of reading good writing.

      Delete
  2. when i have a possible idea, or part of one, I start a topic in the New Topic section, and leave it there. Add to it now and then. Since these arent time specific, I have maybe six or seven in there that can be fleshed out as I find another to add to it.

    I did like those suggestions, however. Didnt know that about blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mittens,
      Your new topic idea is similar to the idea notebook. I bet it works well. :) Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I like to talk to other authors too. That usually breaks loose that stuck feeling I get. This is a great TT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    Talking to other authors is a good idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your lily. Some great ideas here. Agatha Christie always said she got her best ideas while doing dishes, but it's important to fill the well regularly -- take a walk, visit a museum, go to a movie...whatever it takes to recharge. My T13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm fond of the lily, too. And thanks for the idea. I do have some dishes that need washing.

      Delete
  6. For me, the color's green, not blue, but the concept's the same. And always have a notebook. Also: #12: Yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green? Okay. They say green and blue are close colors. :)

      Delete
  7. I take photos when I am not up to writing. I think some other creative endeavor - knitting, etc., helps spark the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CountryDew,
    Thanks. I agree and I appreciate the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading. Looking through magazines. I love the picture of your lily. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first one, be grateful is how most people here live their life. We always try to see things for the bright side.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja