Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Wait, There's More! Magic Marketing Words For You!


By Elizabeth MS Flynn w/a Eilis Flynn
I am the worst when it comes to marketing myself. This, despite being married to an old marketing guy, who’s worked on the advertising and promotion for classic items like: the US Army! DeBeers Diamonds! Consolidated Edison! DC Comics! Seagrams! Precious metals! There’s more, but you get the idea. Despite a lot of marketing knowledge that I’ve learned (from many hours of discussing marketing strategy and comic books), I’m crappy at it. All that knowledge and it’s all going to waste. Yes, sad.

So when I got a chance to use some of that knowledge by helping other authors, I decided to take it. I figured I might as well step back and see what I haven’t done for my own work and hope that others might be able learn something from my ineptitude. Can’t do, might as well teach.

Anyone who’s paid attention to advertising and marketing can tell you that there are magic phrases and words that get a reaction from consumers. And that definitely goes for the marketing of your books. What are those magic words? Beats me what they are for you—this is one of those things that you have to figure out uniquely for you—but I can give you some ideas of how marketing words work and what they may trigger for you and consumers in general. And from that, you should be able to figure out how those magic marketing words work for you.

Check out how your blurbs and your keywords and your marketing can get a second look from your prospective readers. Take a look at what kinds of words and phrases make people sit up and take notice and maybe, even, buy your book or story. In my workshop about key marketing phrases for you! And you! And especially you! I look at what classic marketing words work and don’t work, how you can scare away your potential consumer, what’s the deal with marketing your brand, the magic of WIIFM, and how to watch your words in a very particular way.

If you’re curious about when and how to deal with those magic marketing phrases, check out my online workshop for the San Diego romance writers chapter (www.rwasd.com/training/index_flynn3.html) in September and join in the discussion! (But watch out for those exclamation points. No more than one!!!!!)

Elizabeth MS Flynn has written fiction in the form of comic book stories, romantic fantasies, urban fantasies, historical fantasies and short stories, a young adult novel, and a graphic novella (most published under the name of Eilis Flynn). She’s also a professional editor and has been for more than 35 years, working with academia, technology, and finance nonfiction, and romance fiction. If you’re looking for an editor, she can be found editing at emsflynn.com and reached at emsflynn@aol.com. If you’re curious about her books, check out eilisflynn.com. In any case, she can be reached at eilisflynn@aol.com.

3 comments:

 
ja