Thursday, June 11, 2015
#PitMad-Prize Picks from the Twitter Pitch Party
I’d say, “Go for it.”
Last week on June 4th, I participated in Brenda Drake’s Pitch Madness at # PitMad and I wasn’t alone. SC_Author posted this tweet. “There are 31.4k tweets on #PitMad. Basically, if you don't get requests, remember there are 31.4k tweets. 31.4k.”
What’s a request, you ask. It’s when a connected professional in the book-writing business asks an author to send his or her manuscript to them.
#PitMad, which is short for Pitch Madness is a hashtag event on Twitter where authors post a 140 character pitch or summary of their story. Then they hope agents or editors will favor their pitches, so they can send their manuscript to that agent or editor. Sometimes an agent reads the manuscript and offers to represent the lucky author. That happened at this #PitMad! Jessie Sima left this post.
"Kelp always thought he was a narwhal. Turns out he was wrong. He's a unicorn. KELP, THE NOT-QUITE NARWHAL "
Thao Le, an agent, favorited the post, Jessie sent her manuscript and, long-story-short, a little while later, Thao tweeted this,"Big thanks to #pitmad & @brendadrake for bringing me and @JessieSima together! We just signed! Give her some love! <3 p="">
That’s the hookup most #PitMad participants are striving for, but it’s also affirming to be noticed. In that spirit, here are thirteen pitches I liked.
1. ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD meets INFERNAL DEVICES. Adele wakes in 1882 with no memory & is hunted by the undead she was born to erase #PitMad #YA
2. Witch survival 101: Don't trust seductive Mr. Hyde alter-ego of cute French boys. Damn. #PitMad #NA #SFF
3. During an OBE, she sees her HS janitor move a dead body; now she must prove he's a killer or be next to die #pitmad #YA IfIStay/RearWindow
4. Colonial America. The fate of his tribe rests in his hands. So does the safety of 1 woman. Trying to ensure both he, may lose all.#PitMad #HF#R
5. Two women research the history behind an abandoned mansion & find mental illness, secrets & isolation mirroring their own. #PitMad #A
6. A haunted CEO is forced to defend her sanity in France. Will premonitions and ghosts lead her to a deadly secret buried long ago? #PitMad #A
7. #pitmad She just turned 16 and already she's the target of a ruthless mob boss & a corporation with business offices in the afterlife. #YA
8. RED QUEEN meets the family feud of ROMEO & JULEIT when 2 teens are forced to battle to settle their families' vicious feud. #PitMad #SFF #YA
9. #PitMad Adelaide must reclaim her memory as a ghost hunter to survive the ghouls out for her blood and the brothers out for her heart #YA
10. 10-year-old Willa teams up with a witch, a purring coffee table, and an insecure shrub to foil her parents' plans for divorce. #MG #PitMad
11. Liam solves the biggest case of his detective career while flunking Bio, having Bday and spraying the suspect with air freshener #MG #PitMad
12. #PitMad US Marshal meets lovely witness. Fleeing for their lives, they fall in love. How will they ever part for the trial? #R
13. Outlaw Ava must choose: run forever, or fight the dragons hunting her—risking her best friend’s life. SERAPHINAxANGELFALL #PitMad #SFF #YA
What do you think? Do any of these pique your interest? I hope so.
I’m still wishing good things for #PitMad participants and still checking the hashtag for comments like Melissa Armstrong’s,"I just scored another #PitMad fave! There's still hope, people!"
Have you ever entered a Twitter event? Or thought about entering one? Please share.
Also, I'd like to give a big thank-you-shout-out to Brenda Drake for putting together contests like #PitMad. She's the author of LIBRARY JUMPERS.