Thursday, February 5, 2015

Sweet Reads: Thirteen Plus Messages in my Valentine Sweethearts Box



If you’re looking for portents and secret messages in your candy hearts you probably won’t find them, but you will find many cute sayings.



This is what I found in mine.
  1. I love you
  2. Miss you
  3. BFF
  4. XOXO
  5. Je T’Aime
  6. Best Day
  7.  Pugs and Kittens
  8. Dream Big
  9. Yes
  10. Real Love
  11. Marry Me
  12. First Kiss
  13. My Love
  14. Live N Love
  15. Be Happy
  16. Real Love
  17. Cute
  18. Giggle

While I savored the hearts’ sugary goodness, I did some research. Every year Nesco, the company that has made candy hearts since 1902, updates the sayings it prints. Last year they held a contest where they allowed fans to submit their ideas for new messages. Over one hundred and fifty ideas came from thirty-two states and the winners were:  Girl Power, Pugs and Kittens and Love to Dance. In addition, this year, the company added these new sayings: Te Amo, Je T’Aime, BFF, and the emojis of a smiley face and a mustache.

What message would you like to see on a candy heart? Leave a comment and let me know. Thanks.


Works Cited

TUDER, STEFANIE. "The Story Behind the 8 New Messages On Your Candy Hearts This Year." ABC Good Morning America Yahoo! News. Good Morning America, 15 Feb. 2015. Web. 5 Feb. 2015. .


Zerello, Amy. "10 Years of Conversation Hearts." Reader's Digest. Reader's Digest, 22 Jan. 2010. Web. 5 Feb. 2015. .

7 comments:

  1. I have noticed the messages changing on those candy hearts. Sometimes they don't make any sense to me! I think "love you" is always the best message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mustache?

    Is it my imagination or are we getting less romantic as a people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. A mustache. I think mustaches are really popular right now.:)

      Delete
  3. I like the appellation, BFF.

    And my nephew (aged 14) for some reason finds mustaches very funny. Like on lampshades, etc. (He's a teenaged boy. I don't question anything he does.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel as if we're missing out. I haven't seen any of these for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always paid attention to the changing messages too. What happened to Text Me, which used to be call me? I like Be Mine.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja