Thursday, February 19, 2015

Can a man write romance?

Yes! Here’s an author who proves it!  First, because this is a Thursday Thirteen post I want to share the opening 13 lines from SON OF THUNDER, my favorite novel he’s written.

Header courtesy of samulli


What the heck was this thing?
The supple leather strap felt buttery smooth as Meghan Larson ran her hand over it. It appeared almost new. There were no cracks, no dry spots. She glanced back to the report she’d received about it that afternoon. The leather had been carbon-dated at over two thousand years old. It should have been dry, brittle and crumbling to dust. There had to be a mistake.
            The rectangular metal medallion attached to one end presented a whole new set of problems and contradictions. The Nordic runes on it were definitely Elder Futhark, dating them somewhere in the third to eighth century A. D., yet it appeared to be made of titanium, which hadn’t been discovered until the late eighteenth century.
            The whole thing looked like a belt of some sort, but the buckle, if that was what the medallion was, had no mechanism to latch on to the leather. There were just so many contradictions. Who imprinted a dead language on a new piece of metal, then attached it to a two thousand year old strap of perfectly preserved leather? It didn’t make any sense.


As intriguing as the cover was, these paragraphs pulled me in, and got me to give this author my attention. I liked the story and I’m betting you’ll enjoy his writing, too.

I’ll let Steve introduce himself and tell you a little about his novels.



What is a guy doing writing romance?
Yes, I am a guy. A guy who reads, writes and loves romance. We’re few, but we’re here. I love writing romantic tales set in fantastic worlds, and I’ve created a few of them.
I started out writing science fiction and fantasy, and I am still pursuing projects in those genres, but I found when I mixed in a romantic element, the story always got stronger and more satisfying.

I was an avid comic book collector as a kid, right up into my 20’s. From comics I discovered Robert E. Howard’s Conan series of books. It was only a short jump from there to Tolkien and other fantasy and science fiction authors, my all time favorite is Anne McCaffrey. I’ve spent many wonder filled days on Pern and her other fantastic worlds. It was my wife that introduced me to the romance genre with Nora Roberts book Enchanted. (You never forget your first romance.)

My first published work, Swiftly Beats the heart, is a romance novella about two superheroes, a direct tribute to my early years of neglecting my homework, lost in a comic book. There are a lot of fantasy and science fiction elements (magic, fantastic creatures, dimensional rifts) in my Demons Rising trilogy. And in my novel, Son of Thunder, I was able to blend in my love of Norse mythology as well.

In my latest series, I’ve given myself the whole galaxy to play in. Inspired by Star Wars/Star Trek/Guardians of the Galaxy, Hearts in Orbit is my interstellar playground for adventure and romance. The first book launched in December and is titled The Blarmling Dilemma.


I often have to remind myself that the heart of my story is the romance itself. The fantastic elements are really just window dressing. The real story is two people falling in love. The prize/triumph/payoff isn’t defeating the nasty villain. It’s the love the two discover along the journey. If I stay grounded in the love story, I can add in just about anything else.

Here’s the blurb from The Blarmling Dilemma (Hearts in Orbit-Volume 1) 

“They’re not animals. They’re people!”

Phoebe Callista’s pleas fall on deaf ears and she’s forced to rescue two helpless Blarmlings from certain death. Fleeing across a backwater sector of the galaxy, with Galactic Marshals in hot pursuit, Phoebe falls into the hands of a handsome but determined bounty hunter.

Rigel Antares has captured wanted criminals throughout the galaxy rim, but he’s never come across anything like Phoebe Callista. The gorgeous blonde is playing the innocent, and something deep inside wants to believe her, but Rigel has problems of his own—a ship that’s falling apart and an unscrupulous Galactic Marshal looking for any excuse to send him back to the prison planets of the Theiler System.

An intergalactic circus, vicious space pirates, and a planet full of backtechers cross their paths as two hearts go into orbit to save a pair of adorable Blarmlings.

Hearts in Orbit - Volume 1: The Blarmling Dilemma is a science fiction romance set in the far-flung space traveling future, and sets a new course across the galaxy that leads to love and adventure.


If you’d like to know more about Steve or his novels, here are some helpful links:
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007D0Z1MW


If you'd like to read a sample of S.C. Mitchell's awesome storytelling for free. Follow this link--http://www.amazon.com/reGenesis-Awakening-S-C-Mitchell-ebook/dp/B00NRBFJXC



And as always, I look forward to your comments.


8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post and your wonderful comments. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I got no problem with a guy writing romance. I'm a little worried about my dh writing lesbian romance, though. His sales outstrip mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? You're both writers. That's great.

      Delete
  3. It's my pleasure. I'm thrilled to have a talented author and fellow Wisconsin Romance writer visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those opening paragraphs sucked me in. I'm off to check out your books on Amazon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool. Thanks. I bet you'll like 'em.

      Delete
  5. Great opening lines. I enjoyed this, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja