Thursday, September 25, 2014

In Celebration of Writing—Thirteen Great Minds Weigh In

Ever think about this writing thing we authors spend our time doing? Ever wonder what others make of this craft? Here are thirteen thoughts to inspire you.



  1. One thing that helps is to give myself permission to write badly. I tell myself that I’m going to do my five or 10 pages no matter what, and that I can always tear them up the following morning if I want. I’ll have lost nothing—writing and tearing up five pages would leave me no further behind than if I took the day off.~ Lawrence Block 
  2. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~ Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
  3. Writers live twice.~ Natalie Goldberg
  4. Write while the heat is in you. … The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron which has cooled to burn a hole with. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  5. Anyone who is going to be a writer knows enough at 15 to write several novels. ~ May Sarton
  6. Just write every day of your life. Read intensely. Then see what happens. Most of my friends who are put on that diet have very pleasant careers. ~ Ray Bradbury
  7. I think all writing is a disease. You can’t stop it. ~ William Carlos Williams
  8. We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. ~ Ernest Hemingway
  9. To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard. ~ Allen Ginsberg
  10. The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress. ~ Philip Roth
  11. Write. Rewrite. When not writing or rewriting, read. I know of no shortcuts. ~ Larry L. King
  12. When your story is ready for rewrite, cut it to the bone. Get rid of every ounce of excess fat. This is going to hurt; revising a story down to the bare essentials is always a little like murdering children, but it must be done. ~ Stephen King
  13. When I sit down to write a book, I do not say to myself, ‘I am going to produce a work of art.’ I write it because there is some lie that I want to expose, some fact to which I want to draw attention, and my initial concern is to get a hearing. ~ George Orwell

Do you write? Do you have a favorite quote about the process? Please share.

Sources

9 comments:

  1. Great minds (and words) indeed! ☺ My T13

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saved # 4. One of my favorites is: Try to leave out the parts that most people skip. I forget who said it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen,
      Thanks. That's good advice. I think Elmore Leonard said it originally, but I'm not sure.

      Delete
  3. I don't write for fun. I write because life is meaningless when I don't. - Alice Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice Audrey,
      Yep, I know what you mean. :)

      Delete
  4. I love these! Great inspiration to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Forgetfulone,
      I appreciate your comment and your attention.

      Delete
  5. "The first draft of anything is shit" - Ernest Hemmingway. LOVE your list. I should probably print it out and tack it to my wall.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja