Monday, August 4, 2014

Looking For the Silver Lining

Last time I posted, I told ya'll about the difficult time I'd been having getting my writing groove back after some very difficult life events. Just when I thought I might be hearing the thump-thump-thump of a regular writing rhythm returning, the unthinkable happens. My trusty laptop presents me with the black screen of death. Accckkkk! You probably heard my screams in all corners of the world. After spending a day trying everything I could think of to bring it back to life, I admitted defeat and took it to the local Geek Squad. They gave me hope when they said they should be able to retrieve my files that, procrastinator that I am, had not been backed up in a long, long time. Those hopes were dashed when they called and said it was so fried it actually locked up their system. *sob* Good thing I was going old school and emailing myself copies of my WIP draft. I lost some, but not all of it, thank heavens. Now me and the Cloud are very good friends.

So, now I am the proud owner of a new laptop. It's a major step up from my old one. It has a touch screen, plus I can flip the screen over and the whole thing turns into a tablet. Too cool! But that's not what's got me so excited. This thing also has Dragon Assistant, so I can dictate my writing instead of typing. I'm still practicing (sometimes it has a hard time understanding my southern twang) and I'm not sure it increases my speed and productivity since I have to pause so it can process what I've said (it'll only take 60 second chunks at a time). Still, anything that makes writing fun again is a bonus to me.

Another thing is since I have the new Windows 8, I figure its time to upgrade my Microsoft Word to the most recent version (I've been using 2007). I haven't done it yet. Instead, I imported what I could salvage from my draft into Scrivener. I took a class on it a month or so ago and thought now would be a good time to give it a try. I'm still in the learning stages, but I can tell the visual organization the program does with scenes and chapters is much to my liking.

So there you have it. My version of the silver lining in the face of an otherwise very depressing dark cloud. Here's hoping that whatever I lost and have to rewrite is better the second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ja