Thursday, July 24, 2014

In Celebration of Vacation

Mom raccoon checking out lunch leftovers.


It’s summer and I’m on vacation. To celebrate I've found thirteen quotes about taking some time off.



  1. In matters of healing the body or the mind, vacation is a true genius!~ Mehmet Murat ildan
  2. Every man who possibly can should force himself to a holiday of a full month in a year, whether he feels like taking it or not. ~William James
  3. A vacation is like love — anticipated with pleasure, experienced with discomfort, and remembered with nostalgia. ~Author Unknown
  4. We hit the sunny beaches where we occupy ourselves keeping the sun off our skin, the saltwater off our bodies, and the sand out of our belongings. ~Erma Bombeck
  5. A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you've been taking. ~Earl Wilson
  6. I do not really like vacations. I much prefer an occasional day off when I do not feel like working. When I am confronted with a whole week in which I have nothing to do but enjoy myself I do not know where to begin. To me, enjoyment comes fleetingly and unheralded; I cannot determinedly enjoy myself for a whole week at a time. ~Robertson Davies
  7. Holidays are enticing only for the first week or so. After that, it is no longer such a novelty to rise late and have little to do. ~Margaret Laurence
  8. No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one. ~Elbert Hubbard
  9. When all else fails, take a vacation. ~Betty Williams
  10. The alternative to a vacation is to stay home and tip every third person you see. ~Author Unknown
  11. A good vacation is over when you begin to yearn for your work. ~Morris Fishbein
  12. I think people need hope when times are tough. I think they also need escape and adventure and fantasy. Books are like cheap mini vacations. ~ Michelle M. Pillow 
  13. To work for the sheer joy of it, to wake up and be really excited on a Monday, to love what you do so much that the idea of a long vacation looks boring - that's living. ~ Manoj Arora

What are you doing this summer? Do you have anything fun planned? Please share.


 
Raccoon babies waiting for Mom 

Sources
http://www.quotegarden.com/vacations.html
http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/2007/09/blue-monday-all-you-need-to-know.html




12 comments:

  1. Floydfest is our "staycation." I like the idea of making my life feel like a vacation whenever possible, but I don't have a beach. #8 is funny and rings true for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen,
      Have a great time at Floydfest.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mia,

    You're a bit too early for Monday.

    Here's how Blue Monday works:
    http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/2007/09/blue-monday-all-you-need-to-know.html

    I hope you'll join us on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SmilingSally,
      It's my first time trying the new meme, so I've got a little to learn.

      Delete
  3. My friend a teacher just returned from vacation 10 days to learn that while they were gone her son and husband lost their jobs $150,000 income and her other son just died..she is of strong faith - you have to be in that situation

    ReplyDelete
  4. sandyland,
    That's terrible. My thoughts and prayers go out to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you add up all the bits and pieces, I take about a month off each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I think it's nice to have little breaks throughout the year.

      Delete
  6. Love number five and your raccoon pics. So far my summer has been comprised of Concerts on the Square and walk in the Arboretum. Speaking of... My T13.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,
    Concerts on the Square sound fun. I'll have to check out your T13,

    ReplyDelete
  8. # 9 and #1 are my faves. I wonder if I would ever get to have an entire month off; never had one in my life. Maybe when I retire *chuckilng*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I've been ill, I am not able to take vacations. Hard to have fun when you can't walk far without pain. We haven't had a vacation since 2012, and I haven't had a vacation I actually enjoyed since 2004.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja