Thursday, March 6, 2014

In Celebration of Work


Page by Jayson Taylor

I just started a new job this January and I love it.  I’m an adjunct instructor teaching English at a local university. In celebration, and because I’m still trying to juggle the rest of my life around my new job, I’d like to share thirteen quotes about work.


  
  1. There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. ~ Colin Powell
  2. Inspiration usually comes during work rather than before it. ~ Madeline L’Engle
  3. If you care about what you do and work hard at it, there isn’t anything you can’t do if you want to. ~ Jim Henson
  4. Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work. ~ Aristotle
  5.  Get going. Move forward. Aim High. Plan a takeoff. Don’t just sit on the runway and hope someone will come along and push the airplane. It simply won’t happen. Change your attitude and gain some altitude. Believe me, you’ll love it up here. ~ Donald Trump
  6. We often miss opportunity because it’s dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~ Thomas Edison
  7. Work without love is slavery. ~ Mother Teresa
  8. I like to call in sick to work at place where I’ve never held a job. Then when the manager tells me I don’t work there, I tell them I’d like to. But not today, as I’m sick. ~ Jarod Kintz
  9. Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. ~ Confucius
  10. I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. ~ Jerome K. Jerome
  11. The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope. ~ Barack Obama
  12. When he worked, he really worked. But when he played, he really PLAYED. ~ Dr. Seuss
  13. Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action. ~ William James

How about you? Do you have any advice about starting a new job?  Or a good thought about work? Please share. Thanks.
www.funlava.com 


Sources

15 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your list. I agree with number four. (Many others too.) I worked in education almost my whole career and loved my job. Er...I worked in middle school some of those years...so to be honest, I didn't love some days... My advice for starting a new job? Observe what others are doing and what is going on around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I will take your advice and observe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great selection of quotes! We were taught growing up that hard work and dedication brought results. It's stood me in good stead. Congrats on your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #6. And #2 has proven itself in my life often enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number ten has long been a favroite of mine, aloing with this one by Douglas Adams: "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." My T13: Recently Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The Douglas Adams quote is great!

      Delete
  6. I especially love 7-10. Here's on of my favorite Irish quotes on jobs by Irish pool player Danny McGoorty: I have never liked working. To me a job is an invasion of privacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen,
      Danny McGoorty's quote's funny.

      Delete
  7. Do what you love, love what you do. I started adjunct teaching last year at the local community college. I was just getting my rhythm with the classes when I became ill and had to stop. I am hoping my doctors will let me go back to try again after May.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CountryDew,
    Oh, I'm sorry you had to stop teaching. I hope you can get back into it in May.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jerome's view of work fascinates me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really good stuff. Especially number 5. This has been my year to try to go in a new direction. To accomplish the goals I haven't believed in myself enough to accomplish. All the best

    ReplyDelete

 
ja