Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What's Your Guilty Pleasure?


By Eilis Flynn

The definition of a guilty pleasure is something you enjoy, even though you’re embarrassed by it. With that relatively vague definition, it could be anything, ranging from pistachio ice cream bon-bons to repeated viewings of American Idol. It doesn’t have to make sense to anyone else, just that you derive enormous pleasure from it, despite being more than a tad mortified if someone finds out about it.

Of course, continuing to think about guilty pleasures, it really makes me wonder how stuffy you have to be. If you’re that much of a stick in the mud that you have a hard enough time admitting to having a secret vice as mild as bon-bons or American Idol, why are you that way? Sheesh, everyone needs to have some form of relaxation, right? If it’s not illegal and mildly embarrassing, enjoy yourself!

Now, you may be wondering why I’m railing about this. Why the big deal, you ask? Possibly because my husband is mystified by my devotion to the TV show ARROW. I am very fond of the show. I can even watch any given episode numerous times. Hey, it’s silly and fun! It is my own guilty pleasure. But not that silly, because I don’t care if anyone knows. I have other guilty pleasures—I do enjoy ice cream bon-bons, though I haven’t had any in years, and I thoroughly enjoy shows like GRIMM, because I find the mangled German they use hysterical.

Now, here’s what you need to do. Tell the world about your guilty pleasures. Tell everyone! Stop feeling guilty!

Eilis Flynn can be found to argue with at Facebook, Twitter, or at her website at www.eilisflynn.com or www.emsflynn.com. Since she was laid off recently, she’s also looking for a job, which is why she’s indulging in her guilty pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ja