Monday, October 21, 2013

It's Zombie Time!

If February is the month for love, October is the month for paranormal. Forget the vampires and werewolves. Lately, the kids and I have been on a zombie kick.

When I was a teen my bedroom was in the basement next to the rec room, so after the rest of the family had gone to bed, I'd sneak out and watch B horror movies until the wee hours of the morning. The first zombie flick I ever saw was the classic Night of the Living Dead. It's black and white, super campy, but a classic nonetheless. Now, 30-some years later, I've been known to go around the house, randomly saying "They're coming to get you, Barbara." The kids just look at me like I've lost my mind, wondering who the heck Barbara is. The famous quote from the film is totally lost on them.

But come Sunday nights, the kids and I are all in front of the TV, watching The Walking Dead. Now those are some zombies they can relate to--if one can relate to shuffling rotting corpses. We've missed an episode here and there, so one of these days we're going to have to buy the whole series and watch it from beginning to end.

And who knew zombies could be funny? My son loves Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland. (The kids discovered Twinkies because of that movie.) We do own those DVDs and he watches them over and over again.

We watched World War Z not too long ago. I'll have to say that I much prefer the slow zombies to the fast ones. Even in my less than athletic form, I think I can outrun the slow ones. Fast ones? Nope. I'm gonna be brain food.

One of my favorite zombie movies has got to be Warm Bodies. I've probably watched it a dozen times. Guess it's the romance writer in me. Combine flesh eating zombies with a Romeo and Juliet love story, and you've hooked me.

So what is your favorite zombie movie?


1 comment:

  1. Glad you're raising the kids right! ;) The first book I read my son after bringing him home from the hospital was "10 Little Zombies." No telling yet whether or not it's caused any lasting damage. ;)

    My favorite zombie movie is Shaun of the Dead. Since your son has already seen that, though, has he seen Fido? You may appreciate that one. Fido is basically an update of the classic '50s Lassie. In this case, Lassie just happens to be a zombie named Fido, who accidentally bites the mean neighbor lady. What's Timmy to do?

    ReplyDelete

 
ja