Thursday, June 6, 2013

Inspired by friends, new ideas and good times—The 2013 Write Touch Conference



This weekend I was privileged to attend the 2013 Write Touch Conference at the Olympia Resort and Conference Center. Please bear with me while share 13 of my favorite moments from the event.
Header courtesy of samulli


1.      Michael Hauge who is a renowned story consultant, best selling author and awesome teacher, and our keynote speaker shared his story mastery coaching methods to help us improve our plots.


2.      Molly, who is in love with the 1940’s, taught Elizabeth Poteet and I how to pin curl hair.


3.      Here’s Molly in one of her period dresses.


4.      Lots of people won the literacy raffle baskets. Barb received one full of Inspirational reads.


5.      Maureen snagged this one.


6.      Kate won a bag of books.


7.      A big and exciting part of the conference is getting to pitch a manuscript to an editor or an agent. I was fortunate to get to pitch my story to Elizabeth Poteet and Sarah Younger. They were both gracious, kind and approachable.


8.      Joe Fraser, Wisconsin Romance Writers' vice president and my critique partner celebrated his sixtieth birthday at the conference. Here’s the cake for him.


9.      Liz and Molly lit the candles.


10.  Joe blew out the candles and we all ate cake. 


11. We connected with old friends and also had the chance to make some new ones.


12.  Many of my favorite authors and friends brought books to sell, which they also offered to sign.



13.  We had a chance to honor Fab Five and Write Touch Contest Winners. Casey Clifford’s stories finalized in more than one category. Cheryl's Romantic Suspense made it to the finals, too. 

The 2013 Write Touch Conference had many highlights and fun moments. If you want to see more pictures you can find them on this link.
2013-06-05 2013 Write Touch Conference

Have you been to conference? What kind? What did you like best? Please say hi or leave a comment. I always look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Oh, and while I’m thanking people, I’d like to give a big, “Atta girl,” to Anne Parent, Karen Miller and Barb Britten, who put in long hours working on the conference.




Also, I want to acknowledge Rhiann Wynn-Nolet and Kristina Perez for Thursday's Children blog hop.

32 comments:

  1. Great pictures! There were so many things that inspired me about this conference, including:
    1) The agents who carried on judging our first pages, despite a bad cover version of "Superfreak" blaring through the walls!
    2) The amazing talk given by Michael Hauge, which taught me more about character motivation than any craft book I've ever read.
    3) The enthusiasm of 80+ writers, gathered together, offering encouragement to one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla,
      Yeah, I was amazed by the other writers, too. All the hope and advice and good wishes we shared.

      Delete
  2. That does sound and look like lots of fun. I haven't been to a writers' conference yet, but hope to someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhiann,
      I feel really fortunate I got to go to my chapter's conference and you're right. It was fun.

      Delete
  3. Looks a great day. I've never been to one of these conferences, though. Come to think of it, I've never even been to a workshop or read a 'how to' book, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony,
      I always figured you as a guy who'd lead the "how to" workshops. You seem so talented and knowledgeable.

      Delete
  4. I would love to go to a writer's conference. It sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe I'll investigate if any are happening here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to a conference in almost ten years, just not in the budget these days. Looks like you had a GREAT time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      I did have a great time. :)

      Delete
  6. Glad to see it manifested and pulled off so well. I know how to make 40's pincurls with bobby pins cause my mother used to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen,
      The pin curls were a fun, new thing for me. One of my favorite things about the conference.

      Delete
  7. That cake is positively glowing. It could be dangerous.

    Looks like you had a good conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I think the element of danger made a cake even more exciting, but the best part was that the cake honored a really good guy.

      Delete
  8. I love the 1940s makeup/hair. I wonder how immersing myself in a story like that might help me write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gal Herself,
      Yeah, sometimes I wonder about that too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. I would love to win a bag of books! We have a day-long writer's conference here that I attend, though I had to miss it this year because of a funeral. It has a lot of mini-lessons on writing and publishing. And then there is a literary festival at the local university that I enjoy - lots of author readings there, too. Glad you had a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CountryDew,

      I loved the conference, but getting my own big pile of books to read was a big treat for me, too.

      Delete
  10. So jealous. This looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like so much fun!! I plan on attending a conference next year ... Until then I shall live vicariously through you and others who have been able to attend! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T.J. June,
      Thanks. I feel fortunate that I got to attend too.

      Delete
  12. I haven't been to a conference for a while. Loved the photos. It's so great being surrounded by like-minded people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley,
      Yeah, it is amazing to be around so many people who like books and know how to tell a story.

      Delete
  13. I'm drooling over those bags and baskets of books! Sounds like great fun. I went to a conference a few weeks back about teaching creative writing and it was a wonderful and informative day with lots of fellow writers, authors and lecturers to meet and talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kate Frost,
    Your conference sounds fun, too. It's fun to talk to others who are into writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures! I've never been to a conference, but there is a tiny one held on a tiny island close to my home that I was thinking of attending this summer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so great.... I've only been to a few conferences and loved them all, especially meeting other authors:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great conference. Wonderful people. Stellar writers and speakers. Brenda, thanks for all the great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, sounds like you had a blast! Thanks for sharing all of these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos! Thanks for sharing. And, it's always a pleasure to share the dying art of pin curls. :)

    The industry professionals were awesome. So happy to hear you got requests.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is one flaming cake!!! Love the pin curls :-)

    ReplyDelete

 
ja