Thursday, April 25, 2013

Inspired by the Remarkable, the Unusual and the True: Facts about the Human Body

When we know something really well, we sometimes say, 

“I know it like the back of my hand.” But how well do we really know our bodies? 


Each person has a body. A thing we’ve grown up in, a thing we might be trying to downsize and a thing we will grow old in. But how much do we really know about our own bodies? I bet I can share an anatomy fact that’s new to you.

Header courtesy of samulli



  1. Every hour an average person sheds about 600,000 particles of skin. That equals about a pound and a half each year.
  2. Hair is also shed. On a daily basis, an individual loses 60-100 strands of hair.
  3. Skin and hair aren’t the only human part that’s renewed. Apparently, a person’s stomach lining changes every three to four days. This continual rebirth keeps the strong acids used for digestion from eating up the stomach. One source declared stomach juices strong enough to dissolve razorblades.
  4. The small intestine is also involved in digestion. It’s the largest internal organ and can be 18 to 23 feet long.
  5. Another amazing organ is the lung. Although the human lung is about the size of an American football, inside it has a surface area as large as a tennis court. Lungs have thousands of branching airways and hollow cavities that hold air.
  6. Speaking of air coming in and out, it’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. Sneezes regularly come out of the body at 100 mph.
  7. That’s pretty fast. A cough is slower. It clocks in at 60mph.
  8. And now we’re talking about the mouth. Know what the strongest muscle in the human body is? The tongue.
  9. Teeth are the only parts of the human body that can’t repair themselves because their outer layer is enamel, not living tissue.
  10. People need saliva to taste food. You can test this theory by drying off your tongue and trying to catch your snack’s favor.
  11. Know how much saliva you’ll probably produce in your lifetime? Enough to fill two swimming pools.
  12. If that fact makes you grin, you’ve just used 17 muscles. If it inspires a frown, you’ve used 43 muscles.
  13. Depending on when you’re reading my blog you may be taller or shorter. If it’s evening, you’ve lost about centimeter in height. That’s because standing, sitting and all the things we do daily compress the cartilage between bones.

Did any of these amazing facts surprise you? Which ones? Do you have any to share? If you’d like to learn more, check out my sources. Thanks.
A weekly blog where writers share their inspiration.



Sources

38 comments:

  1. Great info there. Mindst you, at 5ft 4in, I'm never taller :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthonynorth,
      Funny. You've a great sense of humor. :)

      Delete
  2. wow, fun facts. 11. that's an amazing amount of drool kept in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be 5'5"...now I'm 5'3-1/2" ... yikes! And I used 43 muscles after reading #11 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grin, I think my brows shot up with #11.

      Delete
  4. The human body is fascinating. One of these on the brain would be good. I like that a smile is an instant face-lift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll think about doing a post on brain facts. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. 100 strands a day? No wonder I'm finding the stuff everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's a lot of hair. I wonder how much hair comes off my cat.

      Delete
  6. Some of the reasons I studied biology and followed it into genetics :)

    Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Biology and genetics are intriguing subjects.

      Delete
  7. I'm surprised by the size of the lungs - well, the surface area, I mean. That is simply astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was too. It gives a whole new picture to taking a deep breath.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right - there were loads of new-to-me anatomy facts in there. I'll do the Spock-arched-eyebrow thing and say, "Fascinating."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool. I love your Spock-arched brow thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not a lot knew to me, except the surface area of the lungs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      I'm glad I had something new. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. At 6' 2" I stopped measuring my height many years ago lol Interesting facts. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're lucky to be model tall. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. Fascinating. I know 8 from Trivial Pursuit. So actually, frowning burns more calories than smiling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey,
      Yeah, I guess frowning would burn more calories. Still, I like to smile more.

      Delete
  14. Goodness, if *I* shed that much, I'm surprised my cat is not totally bald! Thanks for sharing all these facts. I liked getting some inspiration from "just the facts."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shanah,
      Thanks, I like to share cool facts.

      Delete
  15. These were great. I never thought about the stomach lining regenerating. That is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CountryDew,
      Yeah, I didn't know about the stomach lining replacing itself every 3-4 days either.

      Delete
  16. What a fun post. I knew we grew and shrunk depending on the time of day, but I didn't know it was a whole centimeter! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana,
      Thanks. I appreciate your interest.

      Delete
  17. The human body is pretty amazing. The two swimming pools of saliva is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I agree. The human body is awesomely amazing. Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  18. #1 and #2 make me want to vacuum. And that NEVER happens normally.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool list! The small intestine is fascinating, and ... well ... creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent facts. Such a fun post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did not know that about our stomach lining renewing itself every three to four days! And the saliva filling two swimming pools... how do they work these things out?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fun and interesting facts. Now I understand why I may be shrinking --my back feels like I've taken out cartiledge. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sometimes it feels like a lot more than a hundred strands a day - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! See, this is why I never went further than freshman biology and switched majors in college, lol! Interesting, but ew! :p

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was great!! The body is way cool. Now I'm off to vacuum like Rhiann. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ja