Thursday, February 7, 2013

Love is in the air! Or is that decay?

I'm back! Just like a bad penny or well preserved zombie, I keep turning up!

Like so many others, I saw the new romantic zombie comedy (rom-zom-com) Warm Bodies this past weekend. Though not for everyone, it was exactly what I wanted it to be. Funny. Sarcastic. Irreverent. Meaningful. And yes, romantic. My husband called it schmaltzy, thinking the feel good, all-you-need-is-love message was a little heavy handed. I can see where he's coming from, but I have to disagree. I think the schmaltzyishness is the point. It's supposed to be heavy handed. It's supposed to be over the top. When you're bringing the dead to life and creating a romantic hero out of a rotting corpse, I think you have to take the message over the top. At a certain point, there's no reason to play it safe. When you're reenacting Romeo and Juliet using militant, gun-toting teenagers and zombies? Yeah, the time for playing it safe and subtle has passed.

If you haven't seen Warm Bodies, I recommend it. If you have seen Warm Bodies and have a hankering for some more movies that blend zombie horror and comedy with just a touch of romance, here's a list of my top 6 (why 6? why not?) for your viewing pleasure.

6) Serenity (2005). Fine, fine, it may be a bit of a stretch. Okay, it is a stretch. BUT look at the Reavers and tell me they don't have some zombie characteristics? They aren't technically undead, they aren't technically dead, but the cannibalism and total death of their humanity counts. Add in the lovely blend of action, snark, and sexual tension Joss has built his career around, and I say Serenity has a place on this list. And, given that it's my list, I can do what I want.

5) Fido (2006). It's like Lassie, if instead of a collie, Timmy's faithful pet was a lumbering male zombie named Fido. And even though Fido is a good boy, you know sooner or later he was bound to slip his leash and bite that nosey old neighbor. How will Timmy get out of this one?

4) Dance of the Dead (2008). Who hasn't wondered what would happen if zombies were to invade the high school prom? Dance of the Dead actually explores the question.

3) Planet Terror (2007). One half of the Rodriguez/Tarantino Grindhouse double-feature, Planet Terror has bio-weapon zombies and Rose McGowan with a machine-gun leg. Really, I think I've said enough.

2) Zombieland (2009). Forget Columbus and Wichita, the main romance here is between Woody Harrelson's Tallahassee and a much sought after box of Twinkies. It's a thing of beauty. As is Bill Murray's cameo. This movie just makes me happy.

1) My number one choice, and all-time favorite movie, is Shaun of the Dead (2004). The romance is sweet, but it has NOTHING on the bromance between Shaun and Ed. Watch it. Love it. Join us. JOIN US!

One of us, one of us.

11 comments:

  1. I saw Warm Bodies last weekend and absolutely loved it. I'm buying the DVD when it comes out. I just thought R was adorable. Nicholas Hoult can convey so much emotion with only expressions and his eyes.

    I thought Zombieland was a hoot (double tap!), and you know what a huge Firefly fan I am so I totally get that the Reavers are zombie-ish, only WAY more scary. I have Shaun of the Dead sitting on my TiVo waiting to be watched. Never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I'm with you on Zombieland and the great quest for Twinkies. Oddly prophetic, in retrospect...

    I'll put Warm Bodies on my to-be-watched list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Warm Bodies for all the aforementioned reasons. It was just good old fun entertainment. That is exactly what I want from a movie. I finally saw Shaun of the Dead last year. Absolutely loved it. I'm currently putting the "Rules" into effect. Cardio, Cardio, Cardio. Wanna go shooting? Need to learn to Double Tap. Zombieland is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went hoping for the next Zombieland, and instead....it decided to be something else entirely. A different kind of dark, romantic comedy that probably needs it's own classification. I was actually surprised with how significant certain points were throughout--and it WORKED for me. Yes there was gore and cheese...but the gore was brief and cut-away-ish, and the cheese was forgiveable. Totally worth my date night. ^_^

    ~Angela Blount

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge zombie fan so I'm definitely going to see Warm Bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gretchen, for a change my husband wanted to see this romcom :) Probably the men of our household have seen all of your top 6, but Warm Bodies and your top 2 would top my list. I'd have to include THE WALKING DEAD series although it doesn't fit the romcom or film criteria. Zombies creep me out ever since I saw DAWN OF THE DEAD at an inappropriate age. Still WARM BODIES and its nod to Shakespeare's tragic lovers turned on its head is a win for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to convince my husband to see Warm Bodies with me tonight. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll probably rent Warm Bodies when it comes out! We don't like horror/scary movies, but it sounds funny rather than scary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Warm Bodies sounds interesting. I've seen Serenity. That's the only one I've seen on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm off to see Warm Bodies on Saturday. I loved the book so I can't wait to see it! And I love your post. haha. You're so right. You can't really go the safe/subtle route with zombies--especially the kind that turn human again after falling in love! You kinda have to go over the top with that one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, everyone! Nice to see so many zombie enthusiasts (or at least zombie curiousness). I will say, I think "Warm Bodies" can be enjoyed even by those who don't like traditional horror movies...and those who don't like romcoms. It works on multiple levels! And Nichoas Hoult is just hot. Even undead and ash colored, the boy's got it going on. Now I just need to locate a babysitter so I can go see it again! :D

    ReplyDelete

 
ja