Thursday, February 21, 2013

Have you heard about the President’s wife?




Hope you've had a happy President’s Day. We also hope that, while reflecting back on our presidents, you didn't forget their First Ladies.
            For years we’ve glimpsed the presidents’ wives on television, in movies and on magazine covers, but how much do we actually know about these women?
            Actually, quite a lot, I suspect.  
            To test your knowledge, here's a mini-quiz for you. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to guess, in  each question, which of the three listed names is correct.  I'll post the answers in a day or two.

Header by Samulli

  1. This First Lady wrote the best-selling "Millie’s Book," a story about the family’s dog. Was she Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barbara Bush or Pat Nixon?
  2. Another First Lady graduated from Princeton University, then went on to Harvard’s Law School. We're talking about Martha Washington, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis or Michelle Obama?
  3. Her parents died during her high school years. She went on to graduate from the University of Southern California.  Was she Pat Nixon, Eleanor Roosevelt or Laura Bush?
  4. This First Lady later served as Secretary of State. Her name is Abigail Adams, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Michelle Obama?
  5. This president’s wife had twin daughters. She’s Rosalynn Carter, Laura Bush, Nancy Reagan?
  6. After she kicked a pain-killer addiction, she founded a Center for Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation. Her name:  Lady Bird Johnson, Laura Bush, Betty Ford?
  7. Among other things, her husband was a peanut farmer. Mamie Eisenhower, Rosalynn Carter or Sarah Polk?
  8. This first lady was an associate at a law firm. Her husband was a summer intern she took under her wing. Was she Eleanor Roosevelt, Mary Todd Lincoln, Michelle Obama?
  9. This president’s wife was an actress who appeared in several movies. Her name at birth was Anne Francis Robbins, but as First Lady we called her Rosalynn Carter, Nancy Reagan, Lady Bird Johnson?
  10. Her husband served an unprecedented four terms. She was Nancy Reagan, Eleanor Roosevelt, Hillary Rodham Clinton?
  11. When her husband took the office of president, this First Lady was only 31 years old. Was it Abigail Adams, Jackie Kennedy or Rosalynn Carter?
  12. Her birth name is Claudia Alta Taylor, but we knew her as Michelle Obama, Laura Bush or Lady Bird Johnson?
  13. People criticized for her extravagant shopping sprees and, after her husband’s death, grief overwhelmed her. She was Mary Todd Lincoln, Rosalynn Carter or Dolley Madison?

            How did you do? Did you get more than you thought? If a few ladies stumped you, come back tomorrow for the answers. Thanks for playing.
                                                                                     

Sources:

http://americanhistory.about.com/od/uspresidents/l/blfirstladies.htm
http://www.momlogic.com/2011/02/presidents_wives_first_ladies_michelle_obama_martha_washington.php


29 comments:

  1. I was stumped by a few! I will have to come back for the answers. Very cool TT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed that. Here in the UK we've had the same first lady since 1952.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some more obvious than others. A couple stumped me. I'll check out the answers later. Thanks for the brain exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I think I got most if not all of them! I'll have to check back tomorrow to be sure, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. My theory is we're all smarter than we think.

      Delete
  5. BB, MO, PN, HRC, LB, BF, RC, MO, NR, ER, JK, LBJ, MTL ... I LOOOOVE reading about the First Ladies. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you've got them all right! Awesome.

      Delete
  6. I don't know my US history of the presidents let alone their wives. Great idea to promote the women behind the men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pearl,
      I bet you know more than you think and yeah, I thought it was time for us to consider the First Ladies.

      Delete
  7. I feel like I've lived through so much history!

    Have a great rest of your Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I am Harriet,
      I hope you have a great Thursday too.

      Delete
  8. And by "taking him under her wing" you mean??? Actually I think I did pretty well on your quiz. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grin. She showed him the ropes. She was his mentor and later became his wife.

    I'm glad you did well on the quiz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm guessing I got 2,4,5,6,8,11,13 right. That first lady who showed him the ropes is Michelle Obama. I read it somewhere in yahoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know most of them, only a couple I'm unsure of. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. I'm glad you knew most of the First Ladies.

      Delete
  12. Huzzah! Here are the answers to our First Lady quiz.
    Answers
    1. Barbara Bush
    2. Michelle Obama
    3. Pat Nixon
    4. Hillary Rodham Clinton
    5. Laura Bush
    6.Betty Ford
    7. Rosalynn Carter
    8. Michelle Obama
    9. Nancy Reagan
    10. Eleanor Roosevelt
    11. Jackie Kennedy
    12. Lady Bird Johnson
    13. Mary Todd Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha nice quiz!

    This actually got me thinking that secondary characters (the sig. others... best friends... partners in crime... and yeah, president's wives) should be just as interesting at the main protagonist. They should have their own interests, pursuits, and desires, even though they may not always be in the spotlight!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool connection. I'm with you. Secondary characters are important.

      Delete
  14. Awesome. I acutally did pretty well on this. JImmy Carter is my current protagonist's hero, so I've done a lot of Carter research. And I'm old, so grew up with more than a few of these :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaye,
      That's interesting. I'm looking forward to reading your book.

      Delete
  15. fun quiz :)
    too bad I can't answer any of the questions as I don't live in US.
    have a nice week to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Novroz,
    That's okay. I appreciate you visiting and commenting anyway.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja