Thursday, October 4, 2012

Waiting…Thirteen Thoughts and an Update

Deana Barnhart



Last month I participated in Deana Barnhart’s Gearing Up to Get an Agent Event. I was lightning-strike, act-of-God lucky. The pitch for my novel Dark Bringer made it to the final Agent Pitch Contest and managed to snag some requests.

Now, I’m waiting and hoping and thinking—wow, this process is universal. We all are anticipating something: a birthday, a date, or a new beginning.

You and I have experienced this before period time and time again, so have most people. Well, what’s it like? What do the articulate, the smart or the wise think of waiting? Here are 13 different takes.

Header by Samulli



  1. “If pain must come, may it come quickly. Because I have a life to live, and I need to live it in the best way possible. If he has to make a choice, may he make it now. Then I will either wait for him or forget him.”
    Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
  2. “For a while" is a phrase whose length can't be measured. At least by the person who's waiting.”
    Haruki Murakami, South of the Border, West of the Sun
  3. “After you find out all the things that can go wrong, your life becomes less about living and more about waiting.”
    Chuck Palahniuk, Choke
  4. “I have noticed that the people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them.”
    E.V. Lucas
  5. “...of all the hardships a person had to face none was more punishing than the simple act of waiting.”
    Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns
  6. Waiting on God requires the willingness to bear uncertainty, to carry within oneself the unanswered question, lifting the heart to God about it whenever it intrudes upon one's thoughts.”
    Elisabeth Elliot
  7. “I'm hungry for a juicy life. I lean out my window at night and I can taste it out there, just waiting for me.”
    Brigid Lowry, Guitar Highway Rose
  8. “Even a snail will eventually reach its destination.”
    Gail Tsukiyama, The Street of a Thousand Blossoms
  9. “Waiting turns men into bears in a barn, and women into cats in a sack.”
    Robert Jordan, The Fires of Heaven
  10. “But, someone, please give me—who is born again but still so much in need of being born anew—give me the details of how to live in the waiting cocoon before the forever begins?”
    Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are
  11.  “In life one has a choice to take one of two paths: to wait for some special day - or to celebrate each special day.”
    Rasheed Ogunlaru
  12. Patience is learned through waiting”
    E'yen A. Gardner
  13. “Everything comes to him who waits, except a loaned book.”
    Kin Hubbard
  14. And here’s a fourteenth, just because I like Ray Bradbury. J “He had felt that a moment before his making the turn, someone had been there. The air seemed charged with a special calm as if someone had waited there, quietly, and only a moment before he came, simply turned to a shadow and let him through. Perhaps his nose detected a faint perfume, perhaps the skin on the backs of his hands, on his face, felt the temperature rise at this one spot where a person's standing might raise the immediate atmosphere ten degrees for an instant. There was no understanding it. Each time he made the turn, he saw only the white, unused, buckling sidewalk, with perhaps, on one night, something vanishing swiftly across a lawn before he could focus his eyes or speak.
    But now, tonight, he slowed almost to a stop. His inner mind, reaching out to turn the corner for him, had heard the faintest whisper. Breathing? Or was the atmosphere compressed merely by someone standing very quietly there, waiting?
    He turned the corner.”
    Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Are you waiting for something? What? How do you feel? Please share.

Sources

25 comments:

  1. Great List. One of my favorite poems is Ferlighetti's "I Am Waiting".

    You can read it here:
    http://www.think-ink.net/visit/waiting.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had a boyfriend who was always late. Sometimes by hours. I tried to out-late him a time or two. He wasn't so jolly then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had a travel companion who was always late. It used to make me nuts...waiting and waiting. Finally we worked out a system where I'd give her 15-30 minutes. I'd read and if she showed great and if she didn't we'd meet later. It worked. :)

      Delete
  3. waiting is positively the hardest part...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but it's also a time of hope and a time to dream of possibilities.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I'm waiting, yes. I'm waiting for the moment I'm able to finally declare my current project "finished" and move on to one of the others bubbling away on the back burners of my mind...

    ...sigh...

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly,
      Yep, there's something to finally finishing a project! I wish you speed. ;)

      Delete
  5. Great quotes. One of my favorite plays is "Waiting for Godot." I confess, though, that I tend to grow irritable when waiting for a chronically late friend--especially if it means getting to a ticketed event late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those ticketed events--you do have to be on time. I'd grow irritable too.

      Delete
  6. Great list! I hope you get super news from those GUTGAA requests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaye Robin,
      I appreciate your encouragement and all the time and effort you put into hosting the agent pitch polish event.

      Delete
  7. First of all thanks for visiting my blog! We'd love to have you join us next week for Thursday's Children. Secondly - congrats on those requests! I've found that even if nothing comes of a request it's still validating to have been asked(at least it means your query's working!). If helpful criticism comes as a result of an agent reading your ms, even better. And obviously if an offer of representation comes you've hit the jackpot (I'm still waiting for that one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhiann,
      Thursday's Children sound fun and I appreciate your visit too. I'll let you know what happens with the requests. :)

      Delete
  8. Ooh, so many great quotes and an intriguing post. I love the one by Brigit Lowry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Livia,
    I like Brigit Lowry's quote too. She sounds like she'd be a fun person to know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love #4! As one who has been on both sides of the waiting issue, I can attest that it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I'm fond of number 4 too. I think I've experienced being late and waiting as well.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite plays: Waiting For Godot by Samuel Beckett. Loved quotes 4, 13 and 14. My T13

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your requests, and good luck! I'm waiting on requests the same as you. The older I get, the more impatient I become, but keeping busy is the secret. Working on the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never noticed that about late people. I'll have to take a good look next time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cool. I like #7, too. "A juicy life."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waiting is the absolute WORST part of this business. I've been waiting two months now on a sub, and it's KILLING ME. Ugh. I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja