Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chocolate on the Brain- 13 Interesting Facts about the Sweet Stuff


            
Dark Chocolate Burbanet Assortment from exquisitechocolate.webs.com
Ever had one of those days where chocolate seems to be everywhere? On the TV, in the magazine you peruse, or stacked by the grocery store checkout?

I’m having one of those surrounded-by- chocolate days and it’s bad because I’d like to sample a piece of the luscious goodness at each opportunity.

I can’t indulge if I want to stay in my current-sized jeans, but I can think about the candy, do a little research and fill my mind if not my stomach. Here are thirteen facts you might not know famous sweet.

  1. “Death by chocolate” really has occurred. 17th century, when the church banned eating during services in Chiapas, Mexico, some parishioners were so addicted to chocolate, they stopped attending and may have organized the assassination of the bishop who passed the law. The poor man died after drinking his daily cup of chocolate, which had been laced with poison.
  2. Chocolate is made from the South American cacao tree seeds.
  3. The name chocolate comes from the word “Xocolati”, which means bitter water in the Aztec language.
  4. Chocolate was important to the Aztec. They believed chocolate was an aphrodisiac and there maybe something to that notion.
  5. Chocolate contains phenyl-ethylamine (PEA), which creates that giddy, falling-in-love feeling.
  6. Today, many people believe chocolate is healthful because it contains antioxidants called flavonoids, which can help keep a person’s cardiovascular system healthy.
  7. If you’re eating chocolate for its health benefits think about eating dark chocolate because it has twice the amount of antioxidants.
  8. Speaking of indulging in chocolate, how much chocolate do we eat? Plenty. The average global consumption of cocoa beans is 600, 000 tons.  
  9. Chocolate, of course, is a big business. Consumers spend more than $20 billion a year on the sweet treat.
  10. Which country buys the most chocolate? Well, several websites say America. One of these sites states, “Almost half the world’s chocolate is consumed in America.”
  11. Other countries known for their chocolate consumption are Switzerland and Britain.
  12. The Lindt website, “Chocolate Unwrapped,” says, Americans “eat an average of 22 pounds of candy a year. Half of that is chocolate.”
  13. And what kind of chocolate do most Americans prefer? Seventy-one percent choose milk chocolate.

Do you like chocolate? What’s your favorite? Please join me in this virtual chocolate feast.

Sources





22 comments:

  1. Oh my, my favorite food, apparently. I am partial to dark chocolate covered cherries. Fortunately I only eat them around the winter holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like chocolate covered cherries a lot, too.

      Delete
  2. I *love* chocolate! I'm another who prefers milk chocolate - preferably made in Switzerland. (I'm drooling at the thought of it, now...) I like dark chocolate too, but not as much.

    Combine some chocolate with a smidgen of peanut butter or hazelnut (like Nutella, for example)and I'm in Heaven!

    Happy TT to you! Now I must find some chocolate! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm. That all sounds good. I might have to break down and indulge.

      Delete
  3. What a dumb bishop. He got caught on his own hypocrisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I thought at first too, but as I read more--it seems he was against eating during church services--not chocolate at all.

      Delete
  4. Totally love chocolate, especially Hershey's Special Dark!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet list! I love dark chocolate with macadamia inside. We had a cacao tree, exactly like the one on your photo, in our yard when I was in 6th grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a cacao tree? How cool is that?

      Delete
  6. Has to be dark. Nothing else will do. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a yummy post! I'm a total chocoholic. Most recently, I enjoyed dark chocolate fondue with Bailey's stirred in. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Bailey's with chocolate. That sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great....I just fought off the urge to bite into a candy bar before I got here...

    Have a great rest of your day!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2012/09/400-richest-americans/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about inspiring a chocolate craving, but I appreciate your visit.

      Delete
  10. What a great list! Dark chocolate has always been my favorite. Maybe I'm just naturally drawn to those antioxidants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gal Herself,
      Isn't it fun to find out something you really like is actually good for you?

      Delete
  11. I'm a total heathen -- I'm only so-so on chocolate overall, but my favorite is white chocolate! Thanks for the cool info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      Thanks. We haven't even mentioned white chocolate until now. It's pretty awesome, too.

      Delete

 
ja