Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thirteen...or Fourteen Summer Reads




In August 2007 Alan Fram from The Associated Press gave this surprising statistic—according to the Ipsos poll “one in four adults read no books at all in the past year.”
That doesn’t match my experience. Most of my friends are avid readers. They tend to agree with Desiderius Erasmus, who once said, “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

In Middle School, I was teased for my reading habit, but it did no good. I’m still an enthusiast.
Header courtesy of samulli 



 Here are 13 of the favorite reads this summer.

1.      Heaven is for Real~ Todd Burpo
2.      The Lady in the Lake~ Raymond Chandler
3.      A Scattered Life~ Karen McQuestion
4.      Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers~ Mary Roach
5.      Steve Jobs~ Walter Isaacson
6.      Before I Go To Sleep~ S. J. Watson
7.      Insurgent~ Veronica Roth
8.      Shanghai Girls~ Lisa See
9.      Maze Runner~ James Dashner
10.  Carolina Moon~ Nora Roberts
11.  The Last Apprentice: Grimalkin the Witch~ Joseph Delaney
12.  Crossed~ Ally Condie
13.  Heart of Steel~ Meljean Brooks







What have you read lately? Would you recommend it? I’m always looking for good books.

I just finished Darker Still by: Leanna Renee Hieber. The story was as lovely and well done as the novel’s cover. I’m pleased to announce she will be my guest on Thursday, August 22, 2012. She’s going to share 13 aspects of her Magic Most Foul Series.

Sources
http://wordtrix.blogspot.com/

18 comments:

  1. I buy book but don't necessarily read them. I start books but don't always finish them. Reading makes me want to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen,
      Yeah. I can see how that can happen. :)

      Delete
  2. "Stiff" seems like an odd addition to this list! I recently finished Geraldine Brooks' Caleb's Crossing and enjoyed it. I read between 50-60 books a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stiff is an odd book, but the narrator is so witty and intrepid that she pulled me along in her investigation and then I started learning interesting facts so… I kept reading.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful choices for summer reading.

    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2012/08/13-things-i-did-in-nyc-last-week/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't thought about Lady in the Lake in AGES! Thanks for the reminder! I'm sure I still have it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed "The Lady in the Lake." I bet it'll be one I'll reread too.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to add a few of these to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would be great. I always like to pass along good reading.

      Delete
  6. Of your list, I've only read The Maze Runner. The book Heart of Steel has been on my radar for a while, and I'm dying to read it. Most of my friends are readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the concepts in both books.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed Insurgent and Heart of Steel.
    At present I'm reading Monster in My Closet an urban fantasy by RL Naquin. It's fun, original and utterly charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monster in My Closet is on my to read list, but with your vote of confidence it'll move up in place.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, see, I like lists like yours -- they expand my reading horizons. I'm sort of stuck in the same genres over and over again unless somebody shows me something different and interesting.

    Of course, this is why my TBR NEVER shrinks, and in fact, seems to multiply like bunnies year after year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather F.
      My TBR list keeps growing too, but I love the little bunny comparison. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Steve Jobs sounds like something I normally would not be interested in but right now, it looks interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazel,
      I usually don't read biographies, but I wanted to learn more about Steve Jobs. He certainly had an interesting life.

      Delete

 
ja