Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer Time, Summer Time…Sum…Sum…Summer Time!



Here we are, in the middle of summer 2012. How about the crazy weather? Hot much? Drought. Heat waves. Wild summer storms. There can be no doubt that we’re experiencing a very dramatic shift in weather patterns. According to NASA, this summer will have record-setting temperatures and intense storms. Thank you, global warming.  Still, it is summer, the season of family road trips, camping, and s’mores. Every school-aged child dreams of summer, but then don’t we all?


Summer is the time of planting, of flowers and yard work and hummingbird feeders. It is the time of barbeque and family reunions. Lazy days at the lake or on the couch, summer is a time to kick back and re-charge your batteries. For me, this summer has been a season of productivity. I’ve been wrapped up in canning - canning jellies, jams, fruit butters, and vegetables. Not the easy, putting-produce-into-the-freezer canning, I’ve researched recipes and have tried many methods that have, happily, worked out. Summer means a variety of things to us…what does it mean to you?  Is it frantically sprinting for the Ice cream truck? Is it the family camping trip? Is it walking on the beach at low tide? Or is it volunteering at a Habitat for Humanity’s builds? Tell us about your summer.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of snow balls. You are the jelly queen.
    I absolutely hate heat. But this year you can't just say "I'll go north where it's cooler". We've actually had a cooler summer this year than last but records are breaking north of us. We had the big Flotilla of the boats on Lake St. John and fireworks over the weekend. Every year I say I'm going to get around to the fireworks display but I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living near the Mississippi River I get to enjoy the yearly fireworks display...at least I get to hear the yearly fireworks display. My aversion to mosquitoes and biting flies keeps me safely behind closed doors.
    The writing is on the wall with fall around the corner. Tick tock, tick tock, Wal-Mart has put out their back to school supplies. Enjoy what's left of your summer, Liv!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja