Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Of Anti-Block and Sea Monsters

Lately, I've been struggling to get any writing project completed. I can't say that it's writer's block. In fact, I think it's the polar opposite...anti-block. Lack of any focus. I have so many ideas and I am unable to settle upon one and diligently pursue writing it onto the page to completion. I must have fifteen projects in various stages of "finish".

So today as I sat down to write on a project called CEMETERY TREE I found myself researching sea and lake monsters such as that allegedly prowling the depths of Loch Ness. (*Photo credit to FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Victor Habbick).

As you can tell from the name, Cemetery Tree has nothing to do with monsters...of the water variety anyway. Nevertheless, I am researching "the surgeons photograph", plesiosaurs, and cryptozoology. I'm thinking of names for my own FICTIONAL lake monster (Messie is the current favorite) and I have a fictional lake name to insert into the Lake District of England for use as a setting. I'm plotting a romantic mystery where monster sightings spur murder.

Sound fun? Yeah. Now I just need to write the dang thing before the next idea comes into my head and I dart off in the direction of a newer and shinier plot.

1 comment:

  1. Grin. Sounds like you've got some awesome ideas. You could put them in an idea file. Or you could be like lots of other authors and work on several at a time. Whatever you do, I bet it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja