Thursday, June 7, 2012

13 Quotes to Celebrate Graduation



         Announcement cards, senior pictures, farewell speeches, yearbooks, caps, tassels, gowns and diplomas. ...
          You know how, from time to time, your mind sticks on a topic and it’s all you can think about or talk about? At the moment, that’s how it is with me. My head is full of party plans, grocery and guest lists -- and all because my son and his friends will graduate from high school this weekend.
          To celebrate, I’d like to share 13 quotes on graduations.
    Header courtesy of samulli


  1. “Graduation day is tough for adults. They go to the ceremony as parents. They come home as contemporaries. After years of child-raising, they are unemployed.” -- humorist Erma Bombeck
  2. The fireworks begin today. Each diploma is a lighted match. Each one of you is a fuse.” -- former New York Mayor Edward Koch
  3. “There is a good reason they call these ceremonies 'commencement exercises'. Graduation is not the end, it's the beginning.” -- Sen. Orrin Hatch
  4. “The tassel's worth the hassle!” --Author Unknown
  5. “Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world.” -- South Africa's Nelson Mandela
  6. “A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success.” -- comedy writer Robert Orben
  7. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” –- Confucius
  8. “Graduation is only a concept. In real life, every day you graduate. Graduation is a process that goes on until the last day of your life. If you can grasp that, you'll make a difference.” -- author Arie Pencovic
  9. ”You are educated. Your certification is in your degree. You may think of it as the ticket to the good life. Let me ask you to think of an alternative. Think of it as your ticket to change the world.” -- broadcaster Tom Brokaw
  10.  “At commencement you wear your square-shaped mortarboards. My hope is that from time to time you will let your minds be bold, and wear sombreros.” -- Law Prof. Paul Freund
  11.  “Commencement speeches were invented largely in the belief that outgoing college students should never be released into the world until they have been properly sedated.” --cartoonist Garry Trudeau
  12.   “Just about a month from now I'm set adrift, with a diploma for a sail and lots of nerve for oars.” -- American adventurer and author Richard Halliburton
  13.  “Your families are extremely proud of you. You can't imagine the sense of relief they are experiencing. This would be a most opportune time to ask for money.” --Gary Bolding
          Do you have anyone graduating this spring? Or a bit of cap-and-gown wisdom you’d like to pass along? Please share. I'd love to hear from you.
                                                



23 comments:

  1. Those quotes are funny and inspiring, Brenda. I loved them. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations to you and your son. You must be SO proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm so excited for him. It's really what I've been focusing on. :)

      Delete
  2. A sombrero at graduation? LOL. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a sombrero. Wouldn't that be fun. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Love the quotes, especially the Tom Brokaw one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen,
      They were fun to collect. :)

      Delete
  4. I attended my nephew's graduation last night. It is indeed quite the life event. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool. I can't wait to attend my son's.

      Delete
  5. I've often wondered what memorable quote I'd belt out if I were to speak at a commencement.


    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2012/06/13-great-air-travel-tips/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, which one to use at a commencement address? Now you have me thinking. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Love quote #8 on your list!
    Great blog, BTW! Thanks so much for dropping by mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like number 8 and I enjoyed visiting your site, too.

      Delete
  7. I love this list! "The tassle is worth the hassle." I can imagine some poor kid repeating that to himself as he crams for finals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great minds think alike. I imagined that too.

      Delete
  8. I love your quotes; I might steal some. Thanks for sharing and visiting today.

    The Food Temptress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rekaya,
      Please help yourself. You're more than welcome.

      Delete
  9. Have fun. We don't have graduation like this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you do? How is it different?

      Delete
  10. Great list! Congrats to you and your son on his commencement! What are his plans for after graduation?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly,
    Thanks for asking. He's going to college.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad not to have a graduate yet; my boy just finished his freshman year and I need the next three years to get myself ready for his departure to college!

    Great quotes with lots of bits of wisdom in them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderful post! I've been looking for some inspiring graduation quotes that I can share with my friends who are about to graduate. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja