Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Memorial Day Thank You




Happy Memorial Day -- a few days early. Most of us know someone who has served or is now serving in the military.

We can't say enough about how much we appreciate their efforts and sacrifice.

To add to our thanks for America's veterans past and present, we'll share quotes -- 13 of them (surprise!) -- about servicemen and bravery.


Photo provided courtesy of the National Archives

1. "Only those are fit to live who are not afraid of dying." -- General Douglas MacArthur

2. "Although a soldier by profession, I have never felt any fondness for war, and I have never advocated it, except as a means of peace." -- Ulysses S. Grant

3. "The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second. Hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier."-- Napoleon Bonaparte

4. "If anyone, then, asks me the meaning of our flag, I say to him, it means just what Concord and Lexington meant; what Bunker Hill meant . In short, the rising up of a valiant young people against an old tyranny to establish the most momentous doctrine the world has ever known -- the right of men to their own selves and to their liberties." --Henry Ward Beecher

5. "I regard myself as a soldier, though a soldier of peace." -- Gandhi

6. "Go forward without fear. " -- Abraham Lincoln

7. "I would not fear a pack of lions led by a sheep, but I would always fear a flock of sheep led by a lion." -- Alexander the Great

8. "We take the stars from heaven, the red from our mother country, separating it by white stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her, and the white stripes shall go down to posterity representing our liberty." -- George Washington

9. "Nobody ever drowned in sweat." -- U.S. Marine saying

10. "In war, there are no unwounded soldiers. " -- José Narosky

11. "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its stupidity." -- General Eisenhower

12. "You don’t get very far in life without having to be brave an awful lot. Because we all have our frightening moments and difficult trials and we don’t have much of a choice but to get through ‘em ... It takes a lot of bravery to do that. The most important thing about bravery is this: It’s not about not being scared – it’s about being scared and doing it anyway – that’s bravery." -- singer Ysabella Brave

13. '"For without belittling the courage with which men have died, we should not forget those acts of courage with which men have lived." --John F. Kennedy

I hope this Memorial Day that we’ll all take the time to remember soldiers, sailors and airmen, present and past, who have gifted us with freedom.

Do you know a serviceman you’d like to thank? Tell us about him or her. Or share an inspiring quote. I'd love to hear from you.



Sources

http://www.my-inspirational-quotes.com/category/military-quotes/

http://www.daily-motivational-quote.com/motivation-for-soldiers.html

http://inkstainswithroni.blogspot.com/2009/08/inspirational-quotes-poems-sayings-for.html

http://www.quotegarden.com/courage.html

http://www.knmethewar.org/resources.html








25 comments:

  1. I have so much admiration for all these men and women now and before

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good selection of quotes, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Napoleon really knew his stuff. Great quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good quotes. My grandfather served in WWII and my father in the Korean War. My grandfather was at D-Day. His experiences scarred him for life, but he seldom talked about it. I cannot imagine the terrible things he saw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i beati,
    I'm with you. I share your admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Novroz and Heather,
    Thanks. I like them too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Adelle,
    I hope you have a great Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alice Audrey,
    I've heard Napoleon was a good soldier. Have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CountryDew,
    I think a lot of grandfathers have war experiences they've never shared. Most of them were so young when they took those French beaches and they were the lucky ones because they returned. It's something I plan to think about this Memorial Day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful tribute indeed.


    Have a great TT!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2012/05/memorial-day-weekend-travel/

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have ANZAC day down this end of the world, which is in April. It's good that there is a day where we all reflect and remember sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved these. One of my favorite JFK quotes is, "Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." His service helped define him, as it has for everyone who served. Thanks for this list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Number 10 is so sad, but so true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. General Douglas MacArthur is mentioned significantly in Philippine history books, particularly in the grades.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am Harriet,
    Thanks. I'm glad I accomplished what I set out to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shelley Munro,
    ANZAC Day? Sounds like a good holiday. Visiting Australia and New Zealand are on my bucket list. Maybe I'll come in April.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Gal Herself,
    Thanks for the JFK quote. That fits our theme perfectly. I hope you have a good Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Forgetfulone,
    I'm with you. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wacky Mom,
    Yep, I think number 12 can apply to other areas in life too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hazel,
    That's right. You're from the Phillipines, right? Thanks for sharing your inside information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carolyn Rosewood,
    Thanks. I really appreciate you dropping by. Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja