Thursday, March 8, 2012

In Celebration of the Weather: Snow Facts


We’ve had very little snow this winter, but last week we had one of those classic snowfalls. Huge, glorious flakes. I watched the show from my backyard window and realized how much I had looked forward to seeing the white stuff. Yesterday, all the snow melted before I’d even gotten used to it. I wasn’t ready for it to go. To remember it, I decided to share some facts with you.






    Header by Samulli


  1. Every winter, one septillion or 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 snow crystals fall.


  2. Why so many? Probably because it takes almost a million crystals to make a snowflake.

  3. Not only that, there are about 180 billion molecules of water in an average snowflake.

  4. Snow, like water, actually is clear and colorless, even though it looks white.

  5. Snowflakes always have six sides.

  6. People believe each snowflake is unique. I can't dispute it.
    Yet there are some general rules to their creation. No. 1: When the temperature is close to freezing, snowflakes are larger and more complex.

  7. No. 2: When the temperature is very cold, well below freezing, flakes are needle- or rod-shaped and simpler in design.

  8. In 1951 the International Commission on Snow and Ice produced a fairly simple and widely used classification system for solid precipitation. This system defines the seven principal snow crystal types as plates, stellar crystals, columns, needles, spatial dendrites, capped columns, and irregular forms. Here’s a chart to help clarify the different types. ...


  9. Of course, snowflakes never fall singularly. Often they came in storms. The United States experiences an average of 105 snowstorms a year.

  10. The intensity of the storm determines its name. A snowstorm is a heavy snowfall.

  11. A blizzard has wind and snow and obscures visibility. A snow shower, on the other hand, has intermittent precipitation. And, of course, flurries are the lightest and briefest snowfall.

  12. When it snows, the reported average amount of snowfall per day is about two inches.

  13. And what about mountain snow? Well, in the western United States, it provides 75 percent of the water supplies there.


Do you like snow? Has it snowed yet in your hometown? Please let me know. Thanks.

Sources
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-fascinating-facts-about-snow.php
http://nsidc.org/snow/facts.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow
http://weather-facts.com/snowflakes-facts.php
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/class/class.htm

The snow pictures came from: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/ If you’re a fan of snow, you should consider checking out this site.

20 comments:

  1. Very cool facts. I love snow, except when I have to commute in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love snow with all my heart. No joke. Winter is my favorite time of year, and I'm never happier than when it's snowing. My hubby woke me up in the middle of the night to let me know it was snowing, once, and I was so happy to hear it I didn't mind at all.

    I had to walk home a couple of weeks ago in an unexpected heavy snowfall and I loved every frosty moment of it. My coworkers thought I was crazy. LOL!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caridad Pineiro,
    Yeah, I'm not fond of plowing through snow in my Toyota, but this March snow was easy to move and so...streets were clear while lawns were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly Menozzi,

    I'm with you. I love snow too, especially after this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6 sides? Wow...didn't know that.


    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2012/03/when-karma-bites/

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've only had two snows this winter; very unusual for us. Those are great facts about snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't get snow here...much (it snowed for ten minutes a week ago, but it was melted before it even hit the ground.) Even so, I LOVE snow and was fascinated with your facts!

    Thanks for sharing!

    My TT: http://blog.jayceedelorenzo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am Harriet,

    Thanks. I appreciate you stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CountryDew,
    Yeah, the weather this winter has been pretty snowless too. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jaycee,
    I'm with you. I love the white stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a big fan of the white stuff! Really enjoyed your appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had more than five inches of that heavy, wet snow last Friday--not that you would know it now. While the trees were really pretty after, it did make for a rather treacherous commute home. Almost didn't make it out of the lot at work. Coworker's van started slipping about halfway up the steep driveway and we nearly tipped over.

    Thankfully, though the roads were rather sloppy and slippery, we did make it home safe, and I even went for a short walk with the camera before it got dark. It was hard going at times, yet also slightly exhilerating. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Gal Herself,
    I'm glad to hear that! I'm going with great minds think alike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heather,
    That sounds really scary. I'm glad you all made it home okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carol,
    Yeah, it's been a strange, almost snowless winter around here, but it snowed last night again and now I have crocuses peeking up through the thin white cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. On Wednesday it was so beautiful out I had all of the bedroom windows open. This morning I woke up to frigid cold and snow. An hour later, sunshine. An hour after that, snow again. Now I look out the window to see the clouds parting for blue skies. LOL Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow,I never knew all these facts. I love the picturesque snowfalls, like a postcard. I enjoy the silence that it brings when the roads are less traveled by motorists. I often think of my "home" as a youth near Brunett Island Park in WI. QUIET and SERENE are the best words i can use when i would take the solo walks in the storm. thanks for bringing up such great memories. and i would like to say, I missed the snow this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adelle,
    Isn't the weather strange?


    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those serene walks sound really wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja