Or, Ten Reasons Why You Need A Beta Reader
1) Because the hero's name changes from Heck to Onion in chapter 8. Oopsie!
2) Because you typed chapter 4 while your 8 month old niece was "helping" you and now it's not particularly readable. Oopsie!
3) Because if your heroine went to high school in the 80's like you did, she would not be in her early 30's in the story set in 2012. Or a virgin. Oopsie!
4) Because nobody but you (who went to high school in the 80's) will get the "Shazbat!" reference. Oopsie!
5) Because if the story is set in Seattle, since you thought that might be groovy, your plot shouldn't feature endless, sunny, warm days. Unless there's been a paradise apocalypse. Oopsie!
6) "It was a dark and stormy knight. Suddenly a shit rang out." Oopsie!
7) Because Jedi are copyrighted. Oopsie!
8) Because your highly scientific explanation of vampirism that you waited to include in chapter 2, instead of infodumping it in chapter 1, is still a boring infodump. Oopsie!
9) Because fairies and faeries are the same thing, and the erratic spelling doesn't add to the story or enhance the worldbuilding. Oopsie!
10) Because the hero does not have 3 hands...does he? Oopsie!
So, what are YOUR most convincing reasons to have a beta reader?
www.jodywallace.com * www.meankitty.com