Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Heard It In A Love Song

Yes, lucky me it's my day to post on Valentine's Day! Since Tuesdays are normally Tuneful Tuesdays on my website, I wanted to post about love songs here today.

If you Google songs about love, you'll come up with several lists of the 100 greatest love songs of all time, country and pop. Certainly the country artists would seem to have a handle on songs about love, with all the heartbreak and angst present in most songs. Although recently that trend has shifted to songs about fast cars and red Solo cups.

But the pop/rock stars have always sung about love as well. And let's not forget the crooners of the 40's or the early rock stars of the 50's. No lack of love in those lyrics.

There's no denying it's a subject with which we, as a people, are fascinated. Song lyrics only scratch the surface. We depict and celebrate love in every form of art and media, not only song.

Here are some of my favorite love songs, in alphabetical order:

Always and Forever ~ Heatwave
Always On My Mind ~ Willie Nelson
Amazed ~ Lonestar
At Last ~ Etta James
Behind Closed Doors ~ Charlie Rich
Betcha By Golly, Wow ~ Stylistics
Crazy For You ~ Madonna
Evergreen ~ Barbra Streisand
Forever and Ever, Amen ~ Randy Travis
Happy Together ~ The Turtles
Head Over Heels ~ Tears for Fears
Higher and Higher ~ Jackie Wilson
How Deep Is Your Love ~ The Bee Gees
How Do I Live ~ Trisha Yearwood
I Honestly Love You ~ Olivia Newton-John
I Will Always Love You ~ Dolly Parton
I Will Always Love You ~ Whitney Houston
If ~ Bread
I'll Be There ~ Jackson 5
I'll Make Love to You ~ Boyz II Men
Just the Way You Are ~ Billy Joel
Last Dance ~ Donna Summer
Let's Get It On ~ Marvin Gaye
Let's Stay Together ~ Al Green
Love Will Keep Us Together ~ Captain & Tennille
Maggie May ~ Rod Stewart
Me and Bobby McGee ~ Janis Joplin
Midnight Train To Georgia ~ Gladys Knight
Oh Girl ~ The Chi-Lites
On the Street Where You Live ~ from My Fair Lady
Save the Best for Last ~ Vanessa Williams
Silly Love Songs ~ Wings
Someone To Watch Over Me ~ Ella Fitzgerald
Somewhere ~ from West Side Story
Superstar ~ Roberta Flack
The Closer I Get To You ~ Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face ~ Roberta Flack
This Guy's In Love With You ~ Herb Alpert
This Kiss ~ Faith Hill
Time In a Bottle ~ Jim Croce
To Love Somebody ~ The Bee Gees
To Sir With Love ~ Lulu
Unchained Melody ~ Righteous Brothers
When a Man Loves a Woman ~ Percy Sledge
Will You Love Me Tomorrow ~ Carole King
Wouldn't It Be Nice ~ Beach Boys
You Are So Beautiful ~ Joe Cocker
You Are the Sunshine Of My Life ~ Stevie Wonder
You Make Loving Fun ~ Fleetwood Mac
You Don't Have to Be a Star ~ Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr
Your Song ~ Elton John

Did I list your favorite? Talk to me about love songs...

6 comments:

  1. Happy Valentines Carolyn.

    You have a few of my favourites on that list. I would also add The Power Of Love by Jennifer Rush and Woman by John Lennon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a long list! Is that off your Ip*d or something? I'm lucky to remember one song I like when people ask, much less that many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Thank goodness for Apple products! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Carolyn
    How about "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman?" by Bryan Adams. "And when you see your unborn children in her eyes, you know you really..." OMG I love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful one too, Livia! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ja