Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Want Write Like the Wind? Catch the Rush's Tips--Lynn Rush, that is!


Want to write fast? My guest Lynn Rush is here to tell you how. A former speed skater, a current mountain biker and runner, she’s used to moving fast and she’s willing to share her tips to help you get your fingers flying across the keyboard.


When Brenda asked me to write about how I wrote 20 plus novels in just over three years, I nearly panicked. I'd never really even thought about it. I did it. Just did. But as I sat down to write this post, a few things came to mind.



1. I wrote daily:No matter what! I think that’s the biggest thing for me to getting novels written quickly. Write through the slow parts, write through the blocks, just keep going. If you don’t know the name of something or not sure if something will work, leave it in, put it in bold, you can come back to it.

2. I wrote on lunch breaks: When I had a full time job, this was really important. Every free minute counts. On my breaks I’d type in an email scenes of my story and email it to myself.
3. I slept less: Okay, not the healthiest one, I know, but it’s true. I stayed up later and got up earlier as I plowed through my stories. Now, you can’t keep that up for long, but in short bursts, it helped me. To be honest, if I hadn’t stayed up a bit later to write, I would have tossed and turned in bed anyway, thinking about the scene I needed to write.
4. I consumed tons of caffeine: Much like the less sleep tip, this isn’t the healthiest thing to do, but I’m already a Dt. Pepsi junky. I just tend to burn through a little bit more during my writing sprees.
5. I exercised often: I always make time for this. Even the weekend four-hour bike rides. You might be thinking, “But I could write during that time.” You’re right, actually, but exercise helps me wade through the ideas/scenes/plot issues rioting through my mind while I’m mid-book. I’ve been known to be on the Elliptical typing on my iPhone notes when something needs to get down right away.
6. I cooked extra meals: If I could get a few extra meals cooked ahead of time, it freed up extra hours during the week. Plus, I was messing around in the kitchen, near my hubby, while preparing them, so we got to chat and hang out (He likes cooking, too, so that helps.)
7. I set timers: Sometimes I get a little behind on my chores around the house when I’m in the middle of writing a book. So, I had to set timers. I’d do a couple of hours of writing, then thirty minutes of chores, then back to writing. I’m more relaxed and happy when my house is clean and my husband has wrinkle-free clothes to wear to work. LOL
8. I got away for write-fests: I scheduled times away from my house, my work space, my hubby and just write. I’m lucky enough to have family up north, and they often leave for extended trips. So, I’ll camp out up in Sedona, AZ and write for three days straight, pounding out nearly 40,000 words.
9. I shut off Twitter, Facebook, and email for periods of time: I’m weird about email. If there’s a little red light on my email icon on the bottom of my MacBook screen, I HAVE TO CHECK IT! Yeah, no control there. So, I have to shut my email program down. I get so much more done when I’m not checking email every time the little light goes on.
10. I sprinted with other writers: I got online with FF&P or Savvy.com and did writing sprints. Another thing that helped was meeting up with my crit partner, Kendall Grey, on a private chat line for sprints. We’d go for sixty-minutes then chime in for about two or three minutes to report how far we got, but then it was right back to writing.
11. I carried something to write with at all times: You just never know when you’re going to have fifteen minutes free time. Use it! Every second counts. So, I always carried something with me. Now, it’s mostly my iPhone and I type on the notes section or send myself an email. But before that, it was little notebooks.
12. I cleaned: I seem to write more efficiently when I have a clean work space. Weird, I know, but it’s true. So, if started struggling with my focus, characters weren’t cooperating, or the words trickled out, I’d get up and whip out the Endust and start cleaning. Ten minutes later I had a nice, lemon-smelling work area and I settled in for the duration.
13. I shut doors: I’d warn my hubby that it was going to be an all-nighter, kiss him goodnight and shut the door to my work area. It kept me focused, especially when paired up with suggestion # 9 and I’ve shut off all social medias.

Thanks for having me here, Brenda, and challenging me with the 13 things…this was fun. I have a signed copy of Wasteland to give away!!
Just leave a comment today and you’re entered! It can be about anything. Ask me a question, mention what works for you to stay focused on a task at hand, or whatever.
I’ll draw a winner tomorrow and contact you via email if you won, so be sure to leave your email addy in your comment so I can reach you if your name is drawn, okay?
Thanks!


Excerpt: http://www.crescentmoonpress.com/books/Wasteland.html
The people surrounding us blurred into oblivion, and the music faded into a storm of muffled pitches and tones.
I concentrated on her shining lips and took in the warmth of her body so close to mine. I wanted only the sense of touch to be awake while I reveled in the silky texture of her skin. For so long I'd touched nothing. If I was going to break my rules, I would enjoy it.
Her hands glided from my wrists down my forearms and up my biceps, sending a ripple of desire through my soul. I could resist no longer. I brushed my lips against hers and tasted melon. She heaved a sharp breath and clamped her fingers around my shoulders, holding me in place.
Scents of lilac permeated me. My heart hammered, and my demon pounded, wanting out.
Wanting her.
I turned my head, severing our connection. Too intense. Must stay in control. She let out a whimper. I pressed my mouth to her cheek and tilted her head.
I almost wished I hadn't.
She bore the mark of a Guardian, immortal protectors of the humans.
I drank Beka in for three long breaths, knowing it may be my last chance to hold her close. Because if Beka truly was guarding Jessica Hanks I would more than likely have to kill her to get my Mark.

To find out more about Lynn’s recent release, you can check out the following sites.
Catch the Rush: http://www.lynnrush.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/LynnRushWrites
Twitter: www.twitter.com/LynnRush
Goodreads: http://bit.ly/k6NAZa
Amazon: http://amzn.to/pavzwE
Barnes and Noble: http://bit.ly/pbigOg
All Romance Ebooks: http://bit.ly/nujjjp
You Tube Trailer: http://youtu.be/k-KRE1yMiNk

58 comments:

  1. WOW, that's a lot of writing, but it does make sense. I guess it just becomes a serious all the time commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tips, and plan to use many of them when I start a Fast Draft phase soon! Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, post! And having sprinted with you quite often when you're in the mode, I can tell you all that Lynn is a freak of nature with word counts. But, I love her, so
    I can call her that. Seriously fast fingers help when combined with the rest. Hugs, and congrats on Wasteland. Don't have to enter me, I already have one! so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the tips. Great idea about shutting off your email. I'm going to do that for my next writing bout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your writing tips, Lynn, and Brenda -- glad you liked my post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tips and kudos on the dedication! Thank you for sharing these. :)

    Happy T13,

    ~Xakara
    13 Random Songs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    This is a very interesting T-13 post. I LOVE to write although I'm an artist by profession. Throughout my life, I've written a lot for college, volunteer booklets and on blogs. This is a great list. I do not do caffeine, but oh, how I relate to closed doors and staying up to write "since I'd toss and turn anyway." I exercise regularly, too (gives extra energy) and turning off social media is a must. In fact, I've cut back on social media despite the hype. I need and want the TIME to create more than constantly worrying about networking. (I do value networking; i just do not feel a need to overdue it.)

    I am impressed by Lynn's success of 20 novels in 3 yrs and will bookmark this site. Thanks for posting on T-13 or I would never have seen this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'd rather not leave my email addy here, but if you would please leave a comment on my blog and if I have won, comment there and leave YOUR addy. Then I will email you. Thanks. (Otherwise, my spam folder overflows galore.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your list. I used to live in Arizona and Sedona is such a beautiful place, I imagine anyone would be inspired to write there. One thing I do to avoid writer's block is work on two different stories simultaniously, that way if I feel burnt out on one I can keep writing, then switch back after a break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 40,000 words in three days? WOW! I couldn't imagine. I think my top writing is 7000 words in a day. I miss sprinting with you. Next week! I hope your around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kharisma Rhanyne,
    Yes, Lynn is very committed. She inspires me and I hope she'll insprire you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Misty Dietz,
    Good luck with your fast draft!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel Firasek,
    We should do some writing sprints soon to celebrate Lynn's success and well as yours. Kudos on your recent release Piper's Fury.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Edie Ramer,
    I'm with you. I think I'll go no-mail as well. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather,
    I loved your post. You always do something that's interesting and your last was very fun because I'm a fan of language and classic literature.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Xakara,
    Thanks for stopping by. I bet you use most of these tips because you've written a number of books yourself. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gel,
    It sounds like you've got a good writing/creating routine established. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to checking out your site soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Writermama,
    Working on two stories? I've heard other people say they do that. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Tamara,
    Yep, I think Lynn is amazing too--that's why I was thrilled she'd visit and share some of her writing secrets with us. Please let me know when you're visiting the Water Cooler and maybe we can sprint together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations again on the new release, Lynn. I wish you much luck with it. Looking at your list, I am inspired by your dedication to your writing and to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great suggestions, Lynn! Thanks for the tips. I really need to get on the exercise bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great strategies, Lynn! I employ a lot of these myself, but I *still* can't write nearly as fast as you do. I think it's just your gift. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoa....I wake up this morning and look at all these comments. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!! I don't see a "reply" button under each comment, so I'll tackle them in bunches here, k? Woot!!!!

    @Kharisma Rhayne: Thanks for coming by. It really is a serious all the time commitment. But one I LOVE LOVE LOVE! :)

    @Misty Dietz: Awesome. I'm glad even if just one helps you!! Write on!

    @Rachel Firasek: LOL. I've been called a freak of nature MANY times, and not just in relation to my writing. LOL. It's all good. I'm comfy with my freakish self. Being able to type 110 words per minute really does help. Because sometimes my BRAIN goes bonkers with super fast ideas so my fingers have to keep up. :)

    @Edie Ramer: It really does help. When I see that little red number above my email program. I'm OCD enough to have to stop and open it to make the number go away. LOL!!!

    @Heather: **waves** Hi!!! Nice to see you here. Have a great day!

    @Xakara: Hi!! Thank you. I'm so glad you stopped by today!!

    @Gel: I'm so glad to meet you. Thanks for stopping by. Social media sure is fun...and addicting. But yep. Totally have to shut it off sometimes. LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Gel: hey, no problem. If your name is drawn, I'll track you down. :)

    @Writermama: Ohh, writing two stories at once to avoid block. Great idea. I'm not sure my brain would handle writing two at once, but I can edit two at once. Awesome suggestion. I can see how that'd work!

    @Tamara Hansen: Up in Sedona, on a write-fest, Me and one or two other writers (and sometimes just by myself) we'll be up there together, sitting in our spaces, but not saying a word. Just typing. Then, on a break for lunch or whatever, we'll chat, but mostly it's just writing time. It's amazing.

    @Brenda. Thanks so much for having me here today. This interview challenged me. But it was a good challenge.

    @Caridad: HI!! Thanks for stopping by. It's a super fun and crazy time. I'm loving it!!! :) It's important to take care of yourself during writing time, otherwise your creativity tank gets empty. :)

    @Mia: Exercise can really help, I think. Not only with health, but time away from the computer, it lets your mind wander into so many different things. I've solved many plot problems with exercise. :) **and a little chocolate too--LOL**

    @KendallGrey: Yes. You and I often sprint and write and edit together. I'm lucky to have you with me while I'm writing and editing. You're an inspiration.

    Woot!! You guys rock! I'll be back in a bit to check things out. Love hanging with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I run with a lady who knows you and told me about your books. I am an aspiring author of Nutrition books. I enjoy reading your posts!sarah.hortman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is the sort of post which inspires. I'm glad you shared this insight to your process, because I'm finding myself worn out and a tad stymied (a.k.a. jetlagged) and in need of something to kick-start my writing in the days to come.

    In short, this was the kick in the pants I needed. Thanks for putting it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great tips! I use the timer one myself, along with a few others, but that one in particular is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Twenty plus novels in three years! Amazing! Facebook, grrr ... I've been trying to resist such temptation. Thanks for the tips. I'd like to remember most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great post. I've always wondered how you did it Lynn. I wish I could write that fast. I've been trying some of the strategies you've suggested - staying up late and caffeine - and need to implement a few others. My sister's place will be empty for a while so I might try to do some writingfests of my own. And that tip on cleaning is awesome! Between baby and writing, the house gets neglected but I think I'll try some mini-cleaning sessions.
    Thanks so much for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tips--esp. this one "I shut off Twitter, Facebook, and email for periods of time: I’m weird about email. If there’s a little red light on my email icon on the bottom of my MacBook screen, I HAVE TO CHECK IT" if you want to get anything done, even non-writing tasks!

    Thanks for visiting my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great list! I've done a few of these, but there are several I can try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have some wonderful ideas for authors, and I don't know how you find the time to write so much! That is simply astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  34. @William: Hey there. It's nice to see you!! Thanks for commenting. You're a runner? Awesome. How many miles per week? Training for anything in particular?

    @Kimberly: I'm glad I could be a kick in the pants for you. We all need that sometimes, don't we?? Write on!!!

    @CountryDew: I would die without my iPhone timer option. :) It's so helpful! And it's saved me from burning food before... LOL. I tend to lose track of time while writing. LOL

    @Hazel: HI!!! How are you???? Yeah. When you're unemployed for a long time and have no kids. It makes for TONS of writing time!!! :)

    @Crystal: Hi! Thanks for coming by. Those write fests ROCK. If you can, sneak away. :)

    @Norma: **waves** How are you? Yeah, that email is a bugger. Distracts me bigtime. :)

    @Alice: Glad my little list can help. Each writer is different. Some work for others, some don't. Kind of like plotters and SOTPers. :) LOL

    Thanks you guys, for commenting. I'm having a blast. I'm giving away a Kindle at the end of my blog tour...swing over to my blog for details. Your comment here is worth five entries already if you decide to join in..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Dranae: Hi!! Your comment snuck in just before I hit publish on mine. I'm glad you stopped by here. Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey Lynn,
    Welcome. :) I'm glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Caridad Pineiro,
    Grin. Lynn inspires me too.

    Mia Marlowe,
    Yep, I'm with you. I've got to get on the exercise bandwagon as well. Perhaps we can do it together.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Kendall Grey,
    Yes. I'm with you. I try to employ Lynn's strategies too and they work, but I think her quickness is a gift, maybe even an anointing. She's wicked fast.

    ReplyDelete
  39. William,
    Thanks for stopping by and say hi to Sarah for us.

    Kimberly,
    I'm glad we could help.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Country Dew,
    The timer is one I haven't tried yet. Maybe I should.

    Hazel,
    Yeah. Lynn impresses me too. I'm glad you stopped by. I've missed hearing from you. I hope to stop by your site soon.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Christal Murphy,
    Hey girl. I think you write pretty fast too.

    Norma,
    Yeah, I like to check email too.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Alice Audrey,
    It's always good to get new ideas, isn't it? Thanks.

    Dranea,
    I think you're right. Lynn is truly gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  43. A pen: don't leave home without it. Sounds like the opposite of writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Colleen,
    That's great advice. I always travel with pencil and notebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Fun answers Lynn! I can imagine you writing now, in your clean space! ;) I wish I was creative just a little bit- this sounds like such a fun world of writing!

    Erin (erain14@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  46. erain14,
    Yeah, I can see Lynn there too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I need to do some of those- like learn how to shut doors.

    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/09/hispanic-heritage-month/

    ReplyDelete
  48. @Erin: HI!!! Thanks for swinging by today! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! :)

    @I Am Harriet: **waves** Shutting the door really helps. Makes it feel official, like, OKAY, I must get things done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Those are some great tips for getting anything accomplished, not just writing! But 20 novels in three years? Completely impressive! Congrats on that.

    ReplyDelete
  50. You're right, sherilee, you can use these tips with most anything. :) Thanks for coming by. It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  51. NICE tips!!!! I gotta try some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  52. HI, LB, how are ya??? Thanks for swinging by!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow those are all such great tips Lynn! I do several of them myself when it comes to writing and getting work done.
    Congrats on the book release!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi, Avery. Thanks!! Glad you find some of these useful too!!! Write on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Sherilee,
    You're right. Twenty novels in three years is amazing. :)

    lbdiamond,
    You and me both. I'm going to implement some of Lynn's tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  56. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Avery Olive,
    Thanks. I think one of the cool things about Lynn's tips is that she's tried them and been successful. And I bet many will also work for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. I'm stunned at how prolific Lynn is. Also, the characterization and storyline of her books are incredible. Wasteland is a must read!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja