Thursday, September 22, 2011

Apple Facts that Might Surprise You


Summer’s over and one thing I’ve been waiting for has happened. Newly picked apples are appearing in roadside stands and in the produce section of the grocery store. I had my choice of tart granny smiths, handsome golden delicious and crisp galas last time I shopped.

In celebration of the apple, which Henry David Thoreau called the noblest of fruits, I’d like to share these thirteen facts.


1. Pomology is the study of apples.
2. Apples are originally from an area between the Caspian and the Black Sea in Asia. The crabapple is the only apple that is actually native to North America.
3. About 2,500 different varieties of apples are grown in the United States.
4. All fifty states in the U. S. grow apples, but the states that grow the most apples are: Washington, New York, Michigan, Pennsylvania, California and Virginia.
5. It takes four or five years before an apple tree produces fruit.
6. According to the University of Illinois Extension’s Apple Facts, “It takes the energy of 50 leaves to produce one apple.”
7. What apple variety is grown the most in the United States? Red Delicious. In 2005 farmers harvested 62 million bushels.
8. An average apple is about 80 calories.
9. The U. S. Apple Association reports that, “In 2008, the average U.S. consumer ate an estimated 16.4 pounds of fresh-market apples and 33.3 pounds of processed apples, for a total of 49.8 pounds of fresh apples and processed apple products.”
10. An average apple has five grams of fiber pectin.
11. Fiber pectin can help lower LDL or bad cholesterol.
12. Apples really are good for you and they might even help you lose weight. Researchers at the University of Rio de Janeiro found that women who eat three apples or pears a day lost more weight than women who didn’t.
13. In addition to helping you lower your cholesterol and weight, scientists at Cornell University theorize that apples may inhibit the growth of colon, breast and liver cancer cells.
An apple a day really might keep the doctor away and all this blogging about apples has fired up my craving for the fruit. I’m going to grab one of the galas. I like them the best. Do like apples? What’s your favorite variety?

Sources
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/apples/facts.cfm
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/25-quotes-about-apples.html
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-apples.html
http://www.usapple.org/

30 comments:

  1. Wow, I learned something this morning, great list. #3, #7, and especially #12 surprised me the most. I love apples, but I better start eating more. Thanks for sharing.

    The Food Temptress

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pink lady apples. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apples are the toast of the fall, and you list some great reasons why. For a while there, it was all the rage for shampoos and conditioners to include apple pectin. I wonder if it has any real benefits for hair/skin, or if that was all just marketing ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my friends own an orchard down the road. I am blessed in that she gives me apples when I come in her store - no money allowed! I am always grateful. The local apples always taste better than the ones shipped in, I must say.

    I didn't realize Virginia was such a big apple state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge apple fan, but I do love apple pie. My kids eat a lot of apples. Your post makes me feel like I'm giving them healthy treats. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I'm planning to eat more apples too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pink Ladies are great. Those are among my favorites, but I like Galas the best. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Gal Herself,
    Yeah, it's sometimes hard to separate marketing spin from truth. I like apple shampoos and stuff, but I don't know if they're actually better or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CountryDew,
    Lucky you! Having a friend who shares apples right from the tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kendall,
    For me, it's the opposite. I love the fresh apples and my kids love the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure crab-apples count as real apples. I don't care what people say, they aren't edible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like galas the best, followed by red delicious, but I don't like either enough to eat three a day. My niece should be coming up in a couple weeks for our annual trip to Epelgaarden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alice Audrey,
    Yeah. I'm not much of a crabapple eater--I like the other varieties better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you. Three times a day, is a lot of apples. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually, number 12 didn't surprise me at all - because I know what happens to me when I eat more apples. LOL!


    Here in Italy, my favorite variety are Stark - but you have to get them at the right time of year in order to have them crisp and sweet at the same time. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kimberly,
    Really? So I know someone who has lost weight after eating apples. Cool. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can use an apple right now. Thanks for the reminder :)

    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/09/about-the-nfl/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like I need to eat more apples! I had no idea there were so many kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Royal galas are my favourite, too - I eat one everyday. When I was in Washington I used to love buying apples from people on the side of the road - we only have blueberries sold like that up here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am Harriet,
    Yeah, I'd like an apple right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Forgetfulone,
    I never knew there were so many kinds either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. restlessvagabond,

    I like blueberries too. You get to buy them at roadside stands? Where do you live? I'm interested in visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will stock up on Granny Smith and Golden Delicious tomorrow! :)

    Happy T13,

    ~Xakara
    13 Fitness Gadgets

    ReplyDelete
  24. Xakara,
    Good to know. :) I bought more galas tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just made an apple crisp from apples we picked in an abandoned orchard and from our yard. I saw a show on Johnny Appleseed once and learned that all apples were sour back then and were used for making hard cider.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have been a diehard apple fan since my two front teeth grew in. MacIntosh was always king until I discovered Pink Lady. Now I have two favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous informative post! As I'm from Washington state, apples are plentiful! And I just bought some farm-fresh (well, orchard-fresh) Gala apples yesterday. I would say our family favorite is probably the Fuji, with Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Golden Delicious... well, we just love apples! Nothing better than apples and popcorn while watching TV or reading a book...

    Oh and pie is wonderful too... but for quick and easy, I turn to the crisp. In fact, I'm planning on making the first apple crisp of the season this afternoon! Warm, with a little vanilla bean ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  28. sherilee,
    Wow, apples and popcorn sounds great! I wish I could visit.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Julie Smith,
    I'm also a diehard apple fan. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ja