Sunday, July 10, 2011

Vampires and Witches and Panthers, oh my

I'm watching the new season of True Blood, and I'm wondering how much weirder it can get. We've seen the vampires from day 1, of course, and the werebeasts have been around for a while, too. Now, there are glamouring fae and covens who want to raise dead birds and it's all a little ... strange.

Urban fantasy or vampire fiction, adding in these different creatures/monsters/occult figures is usually a good mix, and I think it's working for True Blood. Can you have too many of these in one story line? I don't know. I thought I'd ask you guys what you think about some of the books/movies/stories that mix many supernatural or fantasy features - and which ones are your favorites.

Some choices - of course, True Blood, based on Charlaine Harris's series of books.
We've got the Twilight series - tell me if it's worth seeing/reading.
What about Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series? Any thoughts on her choice of characters?

Tell me what you think - is it too much, not enough, or are there others out there we should be watching/reading that are like those mentioned above!?

4 comments:

  1. The Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson Series is really good. Ditto Ilona Andrews and her Kate Daniels series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of like the mix of characters in True Blood. Though one does have to wonder how so many supernatural beings can live in one town. I guess it works with New Orleans right down the road. VooDoo and all that.

    The only objection I have to it is the way they are portraying the werepanthers. Panthers, cats in general, are aloof, exotic, dignified. True Blood panthers are NOT that.

    Otherwise, love the mix. TV show...Being Human. There's a nice mix. Don't know that many books to recommend. I love True Blood the show, I don't care for the books. Though I did only read the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big Charlaine Harris fan and have read the entire series.In the books, the various "entities" are introduced over many novels, so the reader has a chance to accept/adapt to the changing "landscape" of the book. In the series they are condensing the introductions for more impact. It can get confusing if you haven't read the books before and the TV show has definately made some changes (the Lafayette character)but it's still all good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read the first couple Charlaine Harris books, but I've heard about the varying creatures inside the novels. I think if it all works together & makes sense that those creatures would be together or not together, then go for it.

    As for the Laurell K Hamilton books: each series has its own vast cast of characters - and for the most part, I love them all. Anita Blake deals strictly with vamps and various weres with some other undead things thrown in and a few witches. Merry Gentry is all about fae (good & bad) and Celtic myth creatures. The Merry Gentry series is my favorite by far! definitely worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja