Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Look Inside: the 2011 Wisconsin RWA Write Touch Conference



Have you ever attended a writing conference? If you enjoy telling stories or putting pen to paper, I highly recommend you do. Last weekend I was privileged to attend the Write Touch Conference at Brookfield Suites Hotel and Conference Center in Brookfield, Wisconsin. Header courtesy of samulli
Please bear with me as I share 13 of my favorite moments and events.

1. I found the workshop of New Year Times best-selling author Susan Wiggs on "How NOT to Get Published," both humorous and inspiring. She graciously made herself available before and after her workshop to answer questions and to allow fans to snap photos.




2. Angela James, Carina Press executive editor, helped us trace the evolution of e-publishing and digital downloads.





3. I attended a gourmet dessert reception with the added bonus of deep-fried cheese. All weekend, hotel staff offered mouth-watering food. What a treat!






4. A panel of experts -- Brenda Novak, New York Times best-selling author; Paula Eykelhof, executive editor with Harlequin and MIRA Books; and Kathleen Ortiz, an agent with Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation -- read queries from audience members and gave us helpful suggestions.





5. Simone Elkeles presented an enlightening workshop entitled “Secrets of a Marketing Queen.” Most of us jotted down lots of good tips.


6. One room was full of raffle baskets and each was filled with enticing or useful prizes.






7. At lunch on Saturday, people won the baskets.


8. I got to pitch my manuscripts to Carina's Angela James and Holly Blanck, an assistant editor at St. Martin’s Press.
9. I connected with romance-writing friends.





10. Lots of deserving writers received honors, awards and certificates.


11. My friends shared their books with me and I picked up a number of good reads.





12. Brenda Novak spoke on how to engage a reader in her workshop on "Emotion: The Heart of the Novel." I took notes like crazy, trying to catch her insights on dialogue, characterization, plot, subtext and metaphors.



13. Carrie Lofty helped us hone our three-line pitches in her class "The Tiny Art of Elevator Pitches."





Wish I could share the entire experience I had at the conference, but then this post would be unwieldy.

If you’d like to see more pictures you can find them at this link.

Please leave a comment or say hi. I always appreciate hearing from you.


By the way, I'd like to thank Betsy and all the people who volunteered their time to make The Write Touch Conference a wonderful experience.

36 comments:

  1. How could you have forgotten to take a picture of the dashing pirate, Jack Sparrow? LOL

    It was a great conference! The only thing I'm sorry about was that we didn't talk more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time. Plus, you were inside where it was air conditioned. The heat these past several days was really kicking my butt.

    BTW, hope you weathered tonight's severe weather safely. We had tornado sirens here, after a wall cloud and funnel were spotted on the west side, but thankfully no tornados touched down. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful time! I was in town,(well Madison), the week before for WisCon, which was also an awesome time! So glad such that there's so much going on in Wiscon for writers. :)

    Happy TT,

    ~Xakara
    Wolf's Glory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, Brenda! I wish I could have gone too. Maybe next year. :-) Sounds like a great conference and tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edie Ramer,
    I wouldn't forget Jack. If you follow the link you'll find him and also some great pictures of you.;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,
    Yep, I was inside and out of the heat and yes, it was an exciting storm with thunder, lightning and hail but thankfully no tornados. I'm glad they didn't show in your area either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Xakara,
    WisCon sounds great too. You're right. It's good to have events where we writers can connect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. KendallGrey,
    It was a fun conference. I look foreward to us actually being at a conference together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great conference. I think writing conferences are wonderful and wish I could attend more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I envy your experience at a conference. I have yet to go to one.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  11. CountryDew,
    The conference was fun. Thanks for letting me share the experience with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carolyn Rosewood,
    Yep, it was. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adelle Laudan,
    Really? You haven't gone to a conference? I bet you'd like it and that you could sell a number of your books there. Thanks for letting me tell you about my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandra Collins,
    Yep, it was fun. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great pics! Really recalled all the fun and all the things we learned. Thanks for this post, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Mary,
    It was great spending time with you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pictures Brenda! Thanks for sharing them. The conference was fun and so interesting, and I think you really captured that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to my first-ever conference in a few weeks - can't wait!

    So I enjoyed coming along to yours first - thanks for showing me the ropes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wait, it he photo above Susan Wiggs? I thought she had curly hair. I mean super curly, like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos, Brenda. It was a great conference ... one of the best that I've attended - not that I'm biased or anything. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've started a new blog meme that posts on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Please stop by and check it out here: http://wtfweeklymeme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. KK,
    Thanks, I'm glad the pictures show some of the fun shared there. I'm already looking forward to attending the next Write Touch Conference.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Julia Smith,
    Have fun. I bet you'll really get a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alice Audrey,
    Yep, that's Susan Wiggs. I don't about her hair-maybe she straightened it. Her workshops rocked.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Liz Kreger,
    No, I don't think you're biased. I agree with you. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BPD in OKC,
    I'll have to come by and check out your new meme. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That sounds like a wonderful event! Glad you enjoyed it!

    Have a great day!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/06/96-today/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the pictures. I can tell you had a great time. Everything else could have been awful, if I could have just had the food :-) And thank you for looking at my 13. Have a super good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fantastic "list"--it actually told a story and informed! I've heard that aspiring writers really do need to attend conferences like this. Awesome.

    Hope you'll visit my post:

    Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am Harriet,
    Grin. Yep-great conference. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A Kwee Life,
    It was a really great conference. :) I appreciate you stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cindy Swanson,
    Thanks. I'm not sure authors need to attend conferences, but I get a lot out of them. I love to learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much for sharing these pictures, Brenda! You really have an eye for catching the great conference action!

    ReplyDelete
  34. BetsyN,
    You're welcome. I had such fun at the conference--the least I can do is share it. :) Thanks for all your efforts.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja