Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Gardens on the Mind

With the weather warming (finally!) and seed catalogs arriving, my mind has gone to the seeds and bulbs I’ve buried in my garden. Crocuses popping up from their winter slumber make this obsession even worse. You've figured it out: I just want to think of flowers right now and so to indulge my mood -- and perhaps yours -- here are 13 quotes about gardens.


Header courtesy of samulli

1. Each spring, a gardening instinct, as sure as sap rising in the trees, stirs within us. We look about and decide to tame another little bit of ground.-- Lewis Gantt


2. If you've never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom. -- Terri Guillemets


3. When the world wearies and society fails to satisfy, there is always the garden.-- Minnie Aumonier


4. Flowers seem intended for the solace of ordinary humanity.--John Ruskin


5. Earth laughs in flower.-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


6. If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn.-- Andrew Mason


7. We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.-- Abraham Lincoln


8. Give me odorous at sunrise a garden of beautiful flowers where I can walk undisturbed.-- Walt Whitman


9. Perfumes are the feelings of flowers. --Heinrich Heine, The Hartz Journey


10. I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers.-- Claude Monet



11. "Look at us," said the violets blooming at her feet, "all last winter we slept in the seeming death but at the right time God awakened us, and here we are to comfort you."-- Edward Payson Rod


12. When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one and a lily with the other. -- Chinese proverb


13. Bread feeds the body, indeed, but flowers feed the soul. -- The Koran




    Those crocuses aren't the biggest or the showiest flowers in my garden. But I love them for their spunk and their willingness to be the first to bloom. To me, they say spring, at last, has arrived. Do you have a favorite flower? A sign you look for to herald the coming of spring? Please share.


    Sources


    http://www.quotegarden.com/flowers.html http://www.northerngardening.com/quotes.htm

    32 comments:

    1. Some nice quotes. No flowers in bloom here as yet, but I noticed the tulips are just starting to come up down by our complex office. Won't be long now...

      My blog

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love flowers but completely fail at gardening. I have killed every plant I've ever been in charge of.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love spring flowers. We've just planted some more bulbs to come up next spring. It's autumn here in New Zealand.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Earth laughs in flowers! How wonderful is that. Now I wish we could have a garden this year. Maybe I'll at least look into flowerboxes or a few hanging plants.

      Thanks for sharing this!

      Happy TT,

      ~Xakara
      13 WIPS

      ReplyDelete
    5. Heather,
      So far I only have the crocuses, but my tulips are just starting to peep through the dirt. I can't wait.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Deb,
      I know how you feel. I'm the same way, but I manage to grow flowers reasonably well outside where God is in charge of the watering.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Shelley Munro,
      Cool. I did the same thing and I've been waiting all winter for the flowers to show. I'll keep you posted.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Xakara,
      Yep, I liked imagining the earth laughing in bright blossoms too. :)

      ReplyDelete
    9. Beautiful quotes. I love Ralp Waldo Emerson's, Claude Monet's, and the one from the Koran.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I like that "Earth laughs in flowers".
      Have a great Thursday!
      http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/04/april-is-national-child-abuse-prevention-month/

      ReplyDelete
    11. Hazel,
      Thanks. I like them too. :)

      ReplyDelete
    12. Harriet,
      That's my favorite one too. Happy TT!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Flowers always remind me of my father and stepfather - they were both avid gardeners. Sadly, I didn't pick up any of their enthusiasm, but I think of them whenever flowers are in bloom.

      Happy TT!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Kimberly Menozzi,
      It's neat to have people in your family who keep a garden because you can visit and enjoy without the effort. Thanks for coming by.

      ReplyDelete
    15. I like #2. Very much to the point.

      ReplyDelete
    16. I loved these quotes! My favorite flower is the iris. I can hardly wait for mine to bloom.

      ReplyDelete
    17. I'd have to agree with #2 and #3 reminds me of a book I just read: "Emily, Alone"
      <3 dandelions
      Lincoln was an amazing man, really.

      ReplyDelete
    18. Alice Audrey,
      Thanks. Number 2 is one of my favorites too.

      ReplyDelete
    19. CountryDew,
      I've got some special irises too.

      ReplyDelete
    20. Thanks Janet,
      I'll have to look for "Emily, Alone."

      ReplyDelete
    21. Now this is a list after my own heart. Gardens and gardening provide peace and pleasure and so much joy; not to mention the back-breaking hard work that goes into them

      ReplyDelete
    22. Friko,
      Thanks. I'm with you. I get a lot of joy from my garden.

      ReplyDelete
    23. For me it's the flowering trees we have here in Middle Tennessee. Redbuds, Bradford pears, white and red dogwoods. They start as early as March and continue all through April until the flowers take over. Gorgeous colors!

      ReplyDelete
    24. Oh, my favorite of these quotes is, "Perfumes are the feelings of flowers." That's lovely!

      My favorite flowers are hyacinths because they smell *so* good. Disappointed that my daffodils never came up this year though. They usually arrive in late January - early February here. Not sure if the weather messed with them or what, but I was sad not to see them this year. They're beautiful to look at.

      ReplyDelete
    25. Carolyn Rosewood,
      I like flowering trees too. I'd love to see yours. :)

      ReplyDelete
    26. KendallGrey,
      Cool. My dad and grandfather loved hyacinths too. Thanks for stopping by.

      ReplyDelete
    27. Happy Spring! So happy Spring is here!

      ReplyDelete
    28. Karen,
      Thanks for stopping by. I'm happy the weather's warming up too.

      ReplyDelete
    29. I have glads that bloom every spring, but they are on the side of my house i rarely travel too and when i remember their bloom have faded. maybe tomorrow i will remember because of these wonderful quotes about flowers.
      Enjoy spring it goes so fast and sometimes takes a step back to winter (like today).
      Thanks for the great read.
      Maggie

      ReplyDelete
    30. Lovely post! I love flowers, but i'm terrible at gardening! lol

      Thank you for stopping at my blog! have a great day!

      ReplyDelete

     
    ja