Friday, March 25, 2011

SciFi TV

Sad to say, there's been a dearth of good scifi TV lately. We're caught in the trough of the wave, the doldrums between seasons.



However, I am thrilled to report that the SyFy version of Being Human is every bit as good as the British, if not better. The storytelling is more linear, which I prefer, and I don't find myself wondering what the connection between scenes is.



I will say that Russell Tovey, who plays the nerdy George in the BBC version is far funnier and more interesting to watch than his doppelganger, Josh, in the SyFy version. But if I'm going to spend time with a hunky vampire, I'd pick Aiden (SyFy) over Mitchell (BBC) any day.

I also saw my first promo for the Spielberg-produced, time-travel adventure, Terra Nova.


I was starting to think the show was a figment of my imagination. I was excited to see it promoted, but when radio silence ensued, thought I was seeing things again. Turns out the May premier was moved back to fall 2011. Sources cite extensive special effects as the culprit behind the delays. But with Jason O'Mara in the lead, I'll definitely be giving this a shot.

We've also got Falling Skies to look forward to this June.
With Spielberg as the EP, this alien-invasion adventure on TNT could be great, but I've been disappointed too many times to hold my breath. Here's a trailer. Although Noah Wylie isn't exactly my idea of an action hero, I'll be tuning in. How about you?

7 comments:

  1. I love love love Syfy's "Being Human." I think the casting is perfect and I love the slow build of the storyline. Before I realized what was happening, I was completely hooked.

    Great post, Annie. And congrats again on the RITA nomination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks on the RITA congrats, Gretchen!

    Be interesting to see whether the other shows live up to their buzz. I loved Jericho and the Terminator, so Falling Skies may be a nice blend of the two. And Terra Nova could be a great time-travel fish-out-of-water show. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen BBC Being Human, so lack of comparison certainly isn't harming my opinion of the SyFy show! Seems like the majority of folks I've heard mention it prefer the BBC version. As for the other 2 shows, I'll definitely be trying them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you'll be checking the hows out, Jody. We'll have to compare notes.

    I've also heard people like the BBC version, but my theory is it's because they saw the Brit version first. Both are good, though. All things being equal, I guess I prefer an American sensibility--although the American version of Life on Mars sucked in comparison to the Brit version. So go figure...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the British version of Being Human, but I have to say that I just love Josh. He's smart and so adorably awkward.

    I'm looking forward to Terra Nova, but I hadn't heard about Falling Skies. So glad I checked out your post. Looks like it's right up my alley. And I loved Jericho too. Wish it hadn't been canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I wish Jericho had had a longer run. Sigh. Hope Falling Skies is good. We'll all have to check back here after it airs and see what we think...

    ReplyDelete

 
ja