Wednesday, November 3, 2010

In Search of Ideas? A Site to Visit: Especially if you’re a NaNoWriMo Participant




Happy November and happy National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)! I’m busy pounding out my yearly 50,000 word novel as a NaNoWriMo participant and, three days in, I’ve gotten to the point where I need a little plot help, some idea of where my story is going.

You may be in the same boat. If you are, I have a site for you, Seventh Sanctum. http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-writ.php It’s full of idea generating links that are sure to get your inner creativity fired up and maybe give you a good chuckle on the way.




Header by Samulli

Here are 13 ideas from the fantasy plot generator.
1. A bitter stableboy offers to help a clever queen, resulting in chaos.
2. A brash sorceress has a question for a young demigoddess, resulting in true love.
3. A helpful stableboy and a shepherd seek a legendary spell in this tale of danger.
4. In this story, peasants and gypsies clash with a mild-mannered beggar stuck in the middle.



5. A lonely sorceror has tea with a wicked merman, resulting in true love.
6. In this story, wolves and pirates clash with a bashful troll stuck in the middle.
7. A mysterious farmer learns a secret from a wicked satyr, resulting in true love.
8. A peasant raised by merfolk talks to a foolish troll.
9. A pixie raised by pirates has an argument with a cantankerous mermaid.
10. A tinker raised by pirates spies on a mild-mannered sorceress.
11. In this story, circus performers and robbers clash with a scatterbrained troll stuck in the middle.
12. This tale of an epic struggle begins when a devious midwife betrays a proud queen.





13. In this story, fairies and robbers clash with a cowardly griffin stuck in the middle.

I hope the Seventh Sanctum ignites your imagination as it does mine. Check out the site and let me know what you find. Happy Writing.

38 comments:

  1. Thanks ibeati,
    They made me laugh too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to that site and had some good laughs with the generator. Sometimes, it's just the kick in the tush we need to get going!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. will do I actually need some inspiration right now, I just realized my wip so far is character driven and not plot driven at all

    ReplyDelete
  4. "9. A pixie raised by pirates has an argument with a cantankerous mermaid."

    Arrrrg! :) I'm envisioning this little Tinkerbell with a pirate costume replete with an eyepatch threatening Arial. Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...My Nano has none of those plots! LOL!

    Thursday Thirteen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny about the true love.

    Have a great day!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/11/how-to-not-be-the-obnoxious-self-promoters/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimberly Menozzi,
    I'm happy the site was fun for you too and may you be blessed with many new words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanna St. James,
    I'm with you. I've got a collection of characters in my current wip too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Redhead named Sam,
    Yep, I can picture this! You've brought number 9 to life! Thanks for the grin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. busy91,
    Ah, my Nano project doesn't feature any of these either, but I think they inspire me to be more creative. Good luck on your Nano novel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am Harriet,
    Yeah, I'm a sucker for those true love stories. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scatterbrained troll in a circus? God it's total chaos lol! I love #3 and #7.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't remember that many helpful stable boys in my F/SF reading.


    I'm NaNoing too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, the poor griffin. Sounds like that site is a fun time-waster!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hazel,
    Grin. I like the idea of a scatterbrained troll in a circus too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AliceAudrey,
    I'm sure there's some helpful stableboys somewhere. How about the Princess Bride? Wasn't Westley a stableboy? Oh, well, thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heather,
    Yes, you're right. I could spend many hours playing around at Seventh Sanctum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a great site! Thank you for sharing it. I bookmarked it and will go back to it again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL...fun list.

    I keep smiling when I think of #9 and the images it creates. My husband is starting to think I have lost my mind. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. lalalalaaa I'm not looking. That's all I need is another story in my head. Only 37,000 words to go lol
    Good luck with NaNo
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CountryDew,
    I'm glad you like Seventh Sanctum. I think it's fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. kandyblossom,
    Yep, number nine makes me laugh too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adelle Laudan,
    Thanks. Sounds like you're doing great with your Nano novel. I appreciate you taking time out for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. lol Some of those sound like great plots! What a fun generator. Happy 13! Great list. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great plot ideas! Now for some spare time to do some writing...

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brenda you've got a whole lot of good ideas :) and really encouraging :) puts a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Joanne,
    I'm happy to know you like the generator. I enjoy using it too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. sherilee,
    I'm with you. In fact that's a great idea for a post. Where do we find more time? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Divaa Divine,
    Yes, the ideas are fun, but I can't take credit for them--they're found at Seventh Sanctum. :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Marita,
    I think number nine was the most popular choice. :) You're in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thought provoking...

    ...when will the books be out?

    Luv the list

    ReplyDelete
  32. I loved some of the suggestions. I'm off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think I will do a different plot for each chapter. That sounds like fun. Well, not for this NaNo book. Maybe the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. {S.T.U.F.F}
    I guess I'd better get busy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Shelley,
    I think you'll like the site, but I bet you don't need plot help. Your stories already sound super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nessa,
    That would be a hoot. Let me know if you do try that book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja