Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My writing twin -- Stephen King

A few weeks ago, a blog friend, Colleen, posted a link: http://iwl.me/ to "I Write Like ...."
An explanation: The Website says it's “a statistical analysis tool, which analyzes your word choice and writing style.” You plug in a writing sample, press the gray ANALYZE button and, voila, the program magically matches you to a famous writer.
Now I wouldn't bet my life on the accuracy of the program. But I'm not displeased it says I write like ... Stephen King. He uses lots of action verbs and so do I.
I'm delighted to be hooked up with one of my favorite authors.


Header courtesy of samulli


So, in celebration, here are 13 of Stephen King's finest books, starting and ending with my absolute favorites.


  1. Black House. I like this best for the high "creep factor," and because it’s also written by Peter Straub, another must-read author. And it has lots of characters, settings and interactions that seem authentic to its Wisconsin setting. (And there’s plenty of weird stuff that, thankfully, living in Wisconsin I’ve never encountered.)

  2. The Dark Tower
  3. Different Seasons
  4. Misery
  5. Bag of Bones
  6. Thinner
  7. Hearts in Atlantis
  8. The Green Mile
  9. Lisey’s Story
  10. Rose Madder
  11. Four Past Midnight
  12. Dolores Claiborne



  13. On Writing. This is my second favorite. In it, you’ll find all kinds of useful tips and personal reflections on what it means to be a writer.


I invite you to put a piece of your prose through the "I-Write-Like" analyzer and tell me who you’re linked with. I bet you'll be surprised!


Please visit on Thursday, August 19, when multi-talented and multi-published author, Terry Spear will be blogging about her new release, Seduced by the Wolf.

31 comments:

  1. Delores Claiborne is my fave! i'm not really into gore, so this one was more my style. i love the relationship between the two women. it was also one of the better movies they've made of his books.

    the snarkster
    www.snidecommentary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too much of a wimp to read Stephen King. I loved the Green Mile in movie form, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of the Black House. I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

    The Food Temptress

    p.s. Will I be able to sleep at night?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been a King fan. The only things I've read by him are Night Shift (assigned in HS Eng class) and The Green Mile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot. Apparently I write like Stephen King too. I'd rather write like Faulkner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't bring myself to read a Stephen King book, although I did read his On Writing. That's an excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big King fan. Don't have a lot of time nowadays for some of his bigger stories, but have you explored his shorts and novellas? I can read those over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lil Ms Snarky,
    Yes, I liked Delores Claiborne too. The 13 books I listed are the ones I liked the most of Stephen King's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen,
    I liked The Green Mile movie too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rekaya,
    I can't promise easy sleep while you're into the story of Black House. Maybe it's a good middle of the day, under the bright sun read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather,
    Thanks for sharing. I think either people like Stephen King or they don't, but either way, he's a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alice Audrey,
    Wow, maybe we were all separated at birth! We're writing triplets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shelley Munro,
    I liked his book On Writing too. I enjoyed the parts where he shares his life with readers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. anthonynorth,
    I sometimes read his short stories. I'm a big MP3 listener which is how I squeeze his longer works into my busy life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I can read Stephen King without having nightmares. XD

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne,
    I understand. I don't think you're alone, but I appreciate your comment. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love reading Stephen King, but have to confess that The Shining is my all-time favorite book. I haven't read Black House. Since it's your recommendation, I'll have to read that one next!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing. Stephen King is not my kind of author, but if I change my mind, it's great to have these recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Misery was a really good one.

    Enjoy your Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/08/wanna-get-your-car-stolen-get-an-escalade/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have read only two books of Stephen King, but I didn't like them. Then I saw Misery as a movie which was quiet good and "Pet simetary" where the blood dropped from the screen. It was too much and finally instead of being scared we laughed !

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely loved The Green Mile. Hearts in Atlantis is on my list. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jeannie,
    You're right I forgot The Shining, another great Stephen King book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pamela,
    Thanks for having an open mind and taking the time to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am Harriet,
    I appreciate your visit. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gattina,
    I saw Misery too. I thought it was creepy good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holly,
    Yeah, great minds think alike. Those two are favorites of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Last time I read Stephen King was 21 years ago. I'm glad I did before all the other things to do were dumped on my lap.

    Aghh... my connection is snail and I want to try the analyzer! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely try it.

    Green Mile. I remember watching the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I thought I had read a lot of Stephen King but after looking at your list I missed a few.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hazel,
    I think you'll find the site fun. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  30. jillconyers,
    Yeah, it's amazing how many books Stephen King has written. I only mentioned thirteen I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't read horror and have never read on of his fiction books. I have read On Writing, which I thought was very good.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja