Sunday, August 29, 2010

The changing faces of vampires

I've been a fan of vampires for a long time, starting back with books by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, the queen of vampires. Her stories led me to Anne Rice, then Laurell K. Hamilton and continued through Kim Harrison's and Stephenie Meyer's takes on the vampire phenomena.

Tonight, I watched True Blood and got a laugh out of a sign in the opening montage I hadn't noticed before. Instead of God Hates Fags, it said God Hates Fangs. Don't know why I found it so funny, but after all the different types of vampires, I guess the one thing they all share is fangs.

Some sparkle, others burn. Some walk in sunlight, others burn. Some can't be killed ... yes, I'll say it again. Others burn. And yet vampires fascinate us, and keep us coming back for more and have since Nosferatu, the ugly, pointy-eared vamp of early films. Dracula by Stoker made vampires more attractive, and other forward-thinking authors continued the trend. Now, we get all dreamy about Team Edward or Angel or LeStat or Eric Northman - they are good looking, there's no doubt. And we love these paranormal bad boys. They're hot and they're hungry and we should be scared, but we aren't.

Some say there is nothing new in the vampire mythos, but I disagree. For every author out there who writes about the fanged creatures who hunger for blood, there is a different story waiting to be told, a different version of the first vampire, a new twist on an old creation. And I love to read them all.

So what do you think? Will the vampire frenzy die or will it continue to endure and evolve? And whose team are you on? Enquiring minds want to know.

1 comment:

  1. No vampires are hear to stay, at least until I finish my Sean the Vampire stories. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ja