Friday, July 16, 2010

What’s With Everybody

The next person who says, “I don’t like to take pills” had better not be close enough for me to smack. Doesn’t like pills, huh? No kidding! Who does? Okay, druggies do, but regular people, not so much. So why do I care? After all, I used to be one of those people. I would live with a headache rather than take a Tylenol. Taking antibiotics made me feel like I’d failed somehow. Then everything began to change.

It started with a I daily thyroid pill, I didn’t like the idea, but it was only one tiny pill. I could live with that, right? I felt better, lost weight, had more energy. It was a sacrifice, but it was worth it. Then there was chronic pain that had me taking Tylenol on a regular basis. Then my blood pressure went up and stayed up, and another pill became part of my daily routine. My minor asthma became worse and I had to use a daily inhaler along with the occasional rescue inhaler. My stomach required a pill, my chronic pain got worse and I learned to juggle different minor and major meds to keep it under control. And it goes on from there. Today I take a colorful variety of medications to keep my various ailments under control. Without some of them I could die. Others make life worth living. Do I enjoy taking pills/inhalers/liquids? Absolutely not. Does keeping up with them all take more time and effort than I’d like? Yes. Do I carry a printed list of my medications? Yes, I do. Well, I do when I remember to print out an updated list. (Excuse me while I make a note). Now, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, I was complaining. So what else is new?

Anyway, so it seems everybody I know, including my husband and best friend, are refusing to take pills. What do I care? Just because I take a handful every day, why should I care? So people around me are sick, depressed, have stomach issues, acne, sleep apnea, tired blood, frizzy hair, and brittle nails. What do I care if they refuse to do anything about it because I would involve taking...da-ta-taaaa... pills?

All right, all right, I’ll own up to my petty feelings. I admit that when others talk about not taking medications I feel just a bit like a failure. Okay, okay, a serious failure. Only for a moment. If it takes meds to keep this old girl going, then bring ‘em on! Cause I got me some serious livin’ to do!

Have a wonderful weekend!!



1 comment:

  1. Noooo, don't feel like that! Though I do know exactly what you mean. But *we* haven't failed so much as our bodies have failed to be perfect. So be it!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja