Today's special: Here's a shout-out to Emeril's Prosciutto and Melon salad - it's great, easy and cool for a hot summer day. Got any cool summer dishes to share with your favorite diner?
* 12 wedges of fresh honeydew melon, about 1 1/2 inches thick
* Salt and pepper
* 8 thin slices of Prosciutto di Parma
* 4 cups of fresh arugula, washed, stemmed and patted dry
* Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 ounce pieces of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
* 1/4 cup Balsamic Syrup, recipe follows
Season the melon with salt and pepper. Wrap two pieces of prosciutto around each wedge of melon. In a mixing bowl, toss the greens with olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Mound the greens in the center of four plates. Arrange three prosciutto wrapped melon around each mound of greens. Shave the cheese over the greens. Drizzle each salad with the Balsamic Syrup.
* Balsamic Syrup
* 3 cups balsamic vinegar
In a medium-saucepan, over medium heat, add the balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup, about 30 minutes or until syrup-like consistency. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Yield: about 1/4 cup