Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sorcerers and Airbenders and Dragons, Oh, My

This weekend I had a chance to get out to a couple of movies - most notably, twice for Sorcerer's Apprentice, which I thought was fantastic, and if you do paranormal, you need to go. It's about magic and spells and love - and how it all ties together through the centuries. There's even a scene - live action, of course - mimicking the original Mickey Mouse Sorcerer's Apprentice - wonderful!

Nicolas Cage does well as a 1000-year-old sorcerer who's just a "little bit" crazy. And nerdy Jay Baruchel - if I was younger ... well, he's had at least three movies where he's gotten the girl, despite his rather nasal voice. Alfred Molina was scarily convincing as an evil sorcerer whose only goal is to free Morgana, the sworn enemy and murderer of Merlin. Since I grew up with tales of Merlin (The Hollow Hills, The Crystal Cave, etc), the storyline felt wonderful. I highly recommend the movie if you haven't seen it.

Beyond those considerations, though, these movies have a grasp of the paranormal - the magic effects, the dragons and other supernatural wonders that help those of us who write understand and imagine what can be done with just our imaginations. If you're not reading and watching movies and television to fill up your brain, you won't be able to write well. You have to feed the fire and see what's out there.

What do you do to fill your well?

2 comments:

  1. I just spent a week at the beach catching up on my TBR pile. Now I'm inspired to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best way to do it, Lori!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja