Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fun Facts for the Fourth

Hope you had a happy Fourth of July! Perhaps, like me, you’re still reminiscing about the food, fun and fireworks. It was a blast. ...

Did you grill out? If so, you were not alone. What did you eat? Ever wonder where that food came from? I did some research and I've come up with some answers.



1.Let's begin with a basic. Did you know that if you’re a U.S. citizen, you’re one of an estimated 309.6 million people?
2. Of that almost 310 million group, 76 million said they took part in a barbeque in 2009. Chances are many of those cookouts occurred during this mid-summer holiday.


3.You may have snacked on watermelon. Most likely that melon came from Florida which produced 818 million pounds of the tasty fruit.
4.Perhaps you enjoyed hot dogs and pork sausages. Those pork products likely came from Iowa. On March 1, 2010, farms in the Hawkeye state were feeding 18.9 million four-legged contributors (hogs and pigs).
5.If you dined on beef, those burgers or steaks probably came from Texas, which provides one-sixth of America's beef products.
6.Maybe you ate barbecued chicken. That chicken likely came from one of six states: Georgia, Arkansas, North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi or Texas.
7.If you opted for baked beans with your main course, those beans may have come from North Dakota, which produces 34% of the dry, edible beans consumed in the U.S.
8.Did you top your burgers and hotdogs with ketchup? The tomatoes used to make ketchup more than likely came from California, which accounted for 95% of the processed tomato production in 2009.
9.How about corn on the cob, another grilling favorite? Many of us enjoyed those juicy, crunchy yellow kernels. About 66% of the sweet corn grown comes from five states: Florida, California, Georgia, Washington and New York.
10.Probably you also sampled either potato chips, potato salad or French fries at your barbecue. Half the potatoes grown in the U. S. come from Idaho or Washington state.
11.If you ate healthy at your barbeque, perhaps sampling only a salad, you may have garnished your lettuce with fresh tomatoes. About 70%of the fresh tomatoes sold are farmed in, yes, California -- along with Florida.
12.Speaking of lettuce for salad, you can thank California. Over 25% of all the lettuce raised in the nation comes from the Golden state.
13.After your satisfying meal, no doubt you watched a fireworks display. Those fireworks most likely came from China. In 2009, Americans shelled out $217 million on those dazzling explosions in the night sky.

Ah, those good times of the Fourth. I hope this holiday brought you plenty of fine food and friends. What did you eat? What did you do? Let me know. I’d like to hear from you.

Sources
http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/cb10-ff12.html

36 comments:

  1. With these facts I'd say you guys are self-sufficient when it comes to agriculture. :)

    Thanks for all the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This list just made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An informative post! While I did watch fireworks over the lake, I did not cook out. Hope you had a good 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, for summer to arrive quickly so I can have a BBQ. Winter BBQs just aren't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I smelled barbecue in the neighborhood, but I didn't grill out. Didn't have any meat thawed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another excellent informative post. Hope you all enjoyed the day that side of the Pond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beef burgers during a celebration are surely a nice reason for me to eat eat eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting. I'm with Ann, what time is the bbq? Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mariposa,
    I'm surprised about how much food is grown in the States too. It was something I didn't really realize--new knowledge I enjoy sharing. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann Bruce,
    :) Me too. I get hungry just thinking about BBQing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather,
    Happy Fourth back at you. :) I watched fireworks over the lake as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shelley Munro,
    Oh, that's right. You have winter right now, don't you? Do you grill out in the snow? We do, but not a lot. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alice Audrey,
    I cheated. I visited my brother and his family and they grilled. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. anthonynorth,
    Yes, I had a great Fourth--my side of the Pond was quite fun this year. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hazel,
    I'm with you. like a good burger too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adelle Laudan,
    I'd love to have you visit. Can I have a ride on your motorcycle when you come?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I once was in a blueberry pie eating contest on the 4th when I was a girl. It was a lot better than hotdogs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. colleen,
    A blueberry pie-eating contest? That sounds really cool and well, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wealth of information. I did not use my grill, but I cooked bbq chicken in the oven. Thanks for sharing and visting me today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had a similar post last week. Really interesting info!

    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/07/if-we-survive-the-heat-we-too-can-live-to-be-100/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun facts. That is a lot of watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had ribs and corn on the cob and potato salad with fruit salad for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rekaya,
    BBQ chicken in the oven sounds good right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am Harriet,
    Sorry I missed your post. I hope you had a happy Fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  25. jillconyers,
    Yeah, I was surprised by the amount of watermelon too. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Janet,
    Corn on the cob is a favorite of mine. It's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Interesting figures. 818 million pounds of watermelon? Wow.
    Great TT idea for the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Rikki,
    Yeah, I really can't even picture all that watermelon. Wow. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What fun facts! We barbecued some hamburgers and had honeydew melon! It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's good to know that I am part of the majority, having a bbq and eating watermelon, hot dogs, hamburger, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Faith Imagined,
    Oh, honeydew melons and hamburgers are favorites of mine. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Kristen,
    I'm part of the majority as well. I hope you had a good Fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for stopping by my blog! This is a great list!

    Have a great day!

    :)
    Rachel
    http://averyfan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Rachel,
    Thanks back at you. Grin. I appreciate your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, just the facts, ma'am! You've got it covered. I feel much more knowledgeable now!

    ReplyDelete
  36. sherilee,
    Thanks. I aim to please, but the credit goes to the Census Bureau. They're the ones with the facts.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja