Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I Scream. You Scream. We All Scream For Ice Cream!

You know how you crave certain foods and drinks around holidays? Like candy canes at Christmas, turkey at Thanksgiving, champagne on New Year’s Eve. Well, I have a problem. In summer, I can't get ice cream out of my mind.


All kinds of ice cream.


So instead of gobbling lots of the luscious creamy stuff, which tends to make my tight jeans too snug, I thought I might blog about it instead and share a virtual delight. We can have as much as we want without gaining an ounce.


But what kinds should we fantasize about? Will it be Lemon Ice? Vanilla Bean? Chocolate Marshmallow? Or Strawberry Swirl?


We aren’t alone in this ice cream fancying. The International Dairy Foods Association reports that “ice cream and related frozen desserts are consumed by more than 90% of households in the United States.”


Nine out of ten households. ... That's impressive.


But what are those households consuming? What are the most popular flavors? To find out, I went Internet surfing.

1. Vanilla. Twenty-nine percent of the people surveyed picked vanilla as their absolute favorite.
2. Chocolate, 8.9%.
3. Butter pecan, 5.3%.
4. Strawberry, 5.3%
5. Neapolitan, 4.2% (As you know, that’s strips of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.)
6. Chocolate chip, 3.9%
7. French vanilla, 3.8%. (This is different from regular vanilla because the vanilla beans are strained out and egg yolks are added. This makes the vanilla more creamy and more like a custard.)
8. Cookies and cream, 3.6%
9. Vanilla fudge ripple, 2.6%


10. Praline pecan, 1.7 %.
11. Cherry, 1.6%
12. Chocolate almond, 1.6%
13. Coffee-flavored, 1.6%




I cheated. I bought this just to make sure it was still my favorite. Yep, it is.



My favorite flavor chocolate marshmallow comes in at number 15. Just 1.3% of us chose that flavor. But no matter. It's still No. 1 on my list.



Do you agree with this list? What is your favorite ice cream? I'd be interested to hear.






P. S. In the post right before mine, Debora introduced me to blogthings quizes. I had so much fun I found a quiz for you to play. Follow this link if you’d like to find out what flavor of ice cream you are. I was chocolate chip ice cream.
http://www.blogthings.com/whatflavoricecreamareyouquiz/

32 comments:

  1. I have trouble with milk products so I don't eat ice cream. However, my husband does. His favorite flavor is black raspberry.

    Before I knew I shouldn't eat ice cream, my favorite dessert was a hot fudge sundae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost always buy vanilla not because it is my favorite ice cream but because is goes well with cake and pie. I like Cherry Garcia and Heath Bar Crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CountryDew,
    My son likes black raspberry too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. colleen,
    I have vanilla in my freezer too--but then I have some other flavors as well. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love ice cream, even though it's bad for me.
    Delicious post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. anthonynorth,
    Grin. I'm happy to share an interest of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite is mint chocolate chip, though I am still partial to Baskin Robbins chocolate & peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen,
    My husband likes mint chocolate chip too, but I bet peanutbutter and chocolate is great too. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, I agree - delicious post!

    And not fattening at all, thanks for the virtual tasting party. I like chocolate or if I am really daring - Rocky Road. I took your little quiz and I am strawberry - "A bit shy and sensitive, you are sweet to the core" LOL.

    Thanks for stopping by, great 13!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm amazed vanilla came out higher than chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alice Audrey,
    Yeah, vanilla is more popular. I bet you're a chocolate lover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm...ice cream. My favorites include mint chip and double fudge brownie. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather,
    I've never had double fudge brownie but it sounds awesome. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan,
    Hey, didn't mean to forget you. I'm glad you liked the virtual treat. Being strawberry ice cream sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like ice cream. We make our own sometimes, but you're right about the tight jeans problem. I've noticed that you have some really interesting flavors in the US. I like your ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shelley Munro,
    Yeah, there is a sad correlation for me between the amount of ice cream I eat and the tightness of my jeans, but I still like the creamy stuff. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Neapolitan is my favorite, and I can never go wrong with chocolate. Another massive favorite is Heavenly Hash (chocolate with vanilla and marshmallow swirls, and almonds and chocolate chunks.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julia Smith,
    I forgot about Heavenly Hash. That sounds good right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. GREAT Thursday 13! My favorite is chocolate. Especially if it has peanut butter flavor, too. Cold Stone is my fave. Next would probably be Baskin Robbins then Ben & Jerry's. Blue Bell is great for supermarket ice cream. (Don't know if you can get it anywhere besides Texas, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite of all time is chocolate hazelnut. Usually it's found in gelato form, and that's just fine with me. I often buy sherbet for the family and vanilla bean for things like cobblers and pie and such.

    Great idea for a Thursday 13!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I only like sorbets, or occasionally some chocolate ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ohhh i have a baaaaaaaaaaaddd craving now!

    all thanks to you!!!

    http://bit.ly/9bHY6v

    ReplyDelete
  23. hmmmm! Butter pecan, now that sounds fantastic!

    Please pop by and check out 13 {{MORE}} Characters in my Dark Kingdom Chronicles Series HERE! Thank you!

    Hope to see you there,

    Angelika Devlyn X

    ReplyDelete
  24. Forgetfulone,
    Bluebell? Hey if I go to Texas, I will check that out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. sherilee,

    Chocolate Hazelnut? I've never had that but I bet my older son would love it. I will have to look for that. Thank you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gattina,
    Sorbets are good. I like 'em too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Divaa Divine,
    Sorry about the craving. Ice cream does that to me too. Thanks for visiting though.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Angelica Devlyn,
    I'm with you. Butter pecan is a favorite in my family too. I happen to have some in my freezer right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love Gilles' "orange dream" custard (especially when it's served as a hot-fudge sundae).

    Then there's Culver's raspberry cordial... incredible mix of red-raspberry compote, dark chocolate flakes, and vanilla custard.

    Breyer's coffee ice cream is good...

    And then there's plain vanilla... but no fake vanilla flavoring, please! I can always tell if the vanilla is the real thing :-).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Marionberry from Tillamook Dairy in Oregon. Soooo yummy.

    And if we can do add-ons, vanilla bean with fresh cantelope and a dash or two or three of tawny port.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Karen,
    I'm a fan of Gilles too, but I've never tried the "orange dream". I might have to visit Gilles soon and order one.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cathy in AK,
    I like the idea of your vanilla bean cantelope combo. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja