Thursday, May 27, 2010

Summer Blahs

(Picture: Indoor activity wherein I learn that 'easy to clean up!' window crayons are not easy to clean up and offend the cat.)

I'm between projects these days -- writing projects, household projects, website projects, crafting projects. Or, more like, I'm between projects I can do efficiently and independently of outside input. It's kind of like being in the waiting room of life, counting the days until things start. Part of this is because it's summer vacation and I've got children at home who make productivity challenging. Another part is exactly as stated -- I can't do my work until someone else does his, her or their work.

Arguably, writers attempting to sell ought never be without a project. There's always a story or premise that could use your love and attention before presenting it to potential buyers (agents, editors, etc). As soon as you finish one book, you're supposed to inhale deeply and jump into another, or whatever your system for changing gears may be. Even if your new project may not be marketable. Even if you have no idea if the first book in your series will even sell. Even if you have other uncertainties about a project's usefulness. (Can you sense the personal issue here? *snort*)

Writers write. Right? When you're not writing--what are you?

I'm a mom with 2 children who aren't old enough to fix their own meals and who can't just be 'sent outside to play' due to Kid2's allergies. What about you?

Jody W.
http://www.jodywallace.com/ * http://www.meankitty.com/

7 comments:

  1. I totally get this. I got similar issues. It's hard to get your motivation back when you are between projects and not seeing the end result you want for your finished projects, but I am sure you will get there eventually. Some roads are longer than others. Especially when you have kids or cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate transitions. I have trouble with them between scenes in my writing life and also in my life life. The time between projects is often a weird miasma, so I understand exactly how you feel. Fot me, letting go of one book and starting another is way hard. I wish we could be like lit fiction writers and write a book every 2 years or so. A year off in between would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, the problem is, I don't know which "where" I am headed for :)

    Annie, I believe lit fic writers TAKE 2 yrs per book. They may not get time off either unless they write one and stop there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have the the kiddos, but it sure seems like I always seem like I have a million and one other things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good post. I'm with you. This whole balancing writing and life is hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lucky enough to have kids that can fix their own meals, sort of (soup, sandwiches and instant oatmeal count, right?), and don't need constant supervision, but the writing issues are the same.

    Why start/continue on a project when the one(s) being peddled is going nowhere fast? How many times can you hear "Great writing and characters, but..." before you want to chuck it all?

    Yet we keep doing it because we are writers. And moms, and wives, and girl scout leaders, and all kinds of things. We are writers, and despite the bumps and setbacks, we will probably always be writers. Because while being mom and wife and all is important to me and others, being a writer is *my* thing. We all need a *my* thing.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja